Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good day everyone..

Please support the establishment of this society. I would really appreciate it. Here goes..

How many of us have lost their loved ones for so many reasons that one can not count? Diseases (such as Cancer, AIDS...), natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes..) and wars are a few to name. How many wish that these would end and that humanity would live in peace and happiness? Well I'm sure most of us do... For this reason, I wish - with your help - to establish "The Humanitarian Support Society" in order to aid who suffer, provide relief and assisstance and try to overcome the difficulties for a brighter future.

I really appreciate your help. Please don't spam or mock the suggestion. Post only if you are interested and/or wish to join. Please help to move this into the societies page. YOU are the judge afterall and YOU can make a difference.

Thank you very much in advance and have a nice day everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I am 100% and totally in! I have myself been spared the immense grief of a loved one passing away at a time where I can remember it. That being said I have lost something very dear to me, although it was a while ago and I wish I had had somewhere to turn to when I lost that because it was as if my whole life fell apart. That is why I totally support this and think it is a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsSvensson)
    I am 100% and totally in! I have myself been spared the immense grief of a loved one passing away at a time where I can remember it. That being said I have lost something very dear to me, although it was a while ago and I wish I had had somewhere to turn to when I lost that because it was as if my whole life fell apart. That is why I totally support this and think it is a great idea.
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. There are a lot of people who need a shoulder to cry on, so why not just support them? Who else is in?!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, I might wobble a bit. What about growth and such?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Not sure, I might wobble a bit. What about growth and such?
    What do you mean by growth? Growth problems? Human Growth?.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How exactly will you help people who suffer?

ReputationRep:
    By providing a shoulder to cry on - not literally. I mean that once we stick together and help others in their crises by talking to them and helping them out, then we're providing assisstance. Those in crises need to talk to people and let things out of their minds. I guess that is the best way to help them. Also, one can talk about daily life problems and try to find solutions to them. That's part of the whole thing as being humanitarian. To sum up, think of anything humanitarian and link it to the soc.

Anyone interested? Please reply ASAP to establish the society.

Thank you very much and have a nice day everyone...

ReputationRep:
    This may be the most important society ever...I agree with you. Poeple need to relate to things in their life to share their emotion instead of making it turn to frustration. Seeing is believing right??! so when people see that people are talking about this and are willing to move on! This can help alot of people!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate this. Who else is in?!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

In order to open this society, I really need more members to approve of it. Please do it ASAP. Please, please, please!! It is really for a good cause afterall.

ReputationRep:
    The whole idea seems a tad pretentious tbh...

ReputationRep:
    No I assure you it's for a good cause. Please approve of it..

ReputationRep:
    I approve of it then . But I can't join.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!! In case one day you feel like joining, you are more than welcome .

Who else is in?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't approve of it, and I hope that anyone else who thinks this is nothing more than a "Aren't we great? Let's pat ourselves on the back" egotistical society will agree with me in saying if you want to do some real humanitarian aid instead of sitting at a computer, in your lovely little house before going to watch something on tv, you should turn off the computer and help out with the samaritans, NSPCC, Childline, or if you really fancy doing some hard work, MSF or the International Red Cross is always after volunteers.

ReputationRep:
    Well I aprreciate your criticism.. Maybe you didn't really grasp the whole idea of the society, or I didn't make myself that clear..

This society aims to shed light on current events in this world; from famine, wars, diseases and epidemics, natural disasters and/or man-made ones. I know that sitting around on the computer and writing stuff might not be that useful, but it's a first step. From this perspective, the society aims to keep people on the right track of what to DO. We might provide suggestions on how to help, whether one alone or in a group (like you said, the red cross or other volunteer work). Everyone can make a difference in this world if he/she is willing to. When someone comes and posts that he/she is having a certain problem, we try to help (or at least talk to that someone) to help him/her pass through their problem. Any help of any kind is greatly appreciated. Have you ever lost a close friend/family member and needed someone to talk to? Have your parents (God forbid) died because of a certain disease and you wondered "Why", or took a certain step into the future? All of us need a shoulder to cry on, and it's great to talk to people who have answers and have passed through the same problems as you did/do. Well, in this society, one can channel his/her anger into a fruitful thing, such as growing up to be someone useful. I know it might sound a bit bizarre, but trust me, it's the truth.

All things considered, do you still thing it's an egotistical society? Well, in my view, it's 100% the opposite. You are stepping out of the ego umbrella to help others, which is a noble thing to do, no matter how much small your help is.

Hope I made everything clear. Have a nice day everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIO-AQUA)
    Well I aprreciate your criticism.. Maybe you didn't really grasp the whole idea of the society, or I didn't make myself that clear..

This society aims to shed light on current events in this world; from famine, wars, diseases and epidemics, natural disasters and/or man-made ones. I know that sitting around on the computer and writing stuff might not be that useful, but it's a first step. From this perspective, the society aims to keep people on the right track of what to DO. We might provide suggestions on how to help, whether one alone or in a group (like you said, the red cross or other volunteer work). Everyone can make a difference in this world if he/she is willing to. When someone comes and posts that he/she is having a certain problem, we try to help (or at least talk to that someone) to help him/her pass through their problem. Any help of any kind is greatly appreciated. Have you ever lost a close friend/family member and needed someone to talk to? Have your parents (God forbid) died because of a certain disease and you wondered "Why", or took a certain step into the future? All of us need a shoulder to cry on, and it's great to talk to people who have answers and have passed through the same problems as you did/do. Well, in this society, one can channel his/her anger into a fruitful thing, such as growing up to be someone useful. I know it might sound a bit bizarre, but trust me, it's the truth.

All things considered, do you still thing it's an egotistical society? Well, in my view, it's 100% the opposite. You are stepping out of the ego umbrella to help others, which is a noble thing to do, no matter how much small your help is.

Hope I made everything clear. Have a nice day everyone.
    I stick by my thoughts.

By doing all this, it is merely a way for you to avoid actually doing work where it really matters, and allows you to sit, in the comfort of your own home, safe in the knowledge that "I'm such a nice person, I helped three people on the internet today. Time for a well deserved drink" sort of thing.

As I said before, if you want to do humanitarian aid, get off your arse and into the real world.

The only way to give useful aid is to see what needs to be done. The only way to see what needs to be done is to get out there and visit the places that need help.

The International Red Cross, MSF, and other humanitarian aid associations have my respect, because the members of them have decided to do what I suggest you do. Get out of their ivory towers, come down from cloud 9 and do something which is of use. Not remain in their ivory towers, contact BT and have broadband installed so they can sit their giving "help" to those who need it on the internet.

Let's face it shall we? Those who really need humanitarian aid are those who cannot access the internet.

For those who can, there are several websites and helplines available to call. All of whom are constantly asking for volunteers. So, instead of just restricting yourself to TSR (which, lets face it, is a student community. When people are bereaved or somesuch and they do a google search, I doubt TSR will be the first place they visit.) get out there and do the work you apparently wish to do.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree and I myself admire your words. You are 100% right. But I thought, since there isn't any society for these kinds of stuff, why not establish one? This would help others and tell them about other people out there who need their help. This way, we would tell them about things that many (and by many I mean millions) don't know about. You would engage others and convince them to go there and help, to care about other people's wants and needs instead of/along with theirs for a while. From this, many people would go and indulge in community service and volunteer work. You're right, but I'm actually using the soc as means to transfer the world to students. It's what you said in a more friendly manner.

We would (hopefully) open threads in the soc about what people can do to help, since many don't know these things, right? One can change the attitudes of many with a first step, and that's what I believe in and hope we can accomplish. I'm really telling the truth, it's not something to do with ego or self-appraisal.. It's truly selfless (you're a priest, you know what I'm saying).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIO-AQUA)
    I completely agree and I myself admire your words. You are 100% right.
    Excellent, glad we got this mess cleared up.

Self praise and ego boosting all the way

Anyway, there's no point in posting links to all these things. If people are truly wishing to do humanitarian work, they will research it themselves.

If they are called to that particular vocation, then nothing will stop them from doing it.

A simple google search for "humanitarian aid" brought up 2,750,000 results. It's not exactly difficult to find something to do is it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for posting, even if you don't approve of the whole idea. It's your decision afterall. Anyway, who wants to join the soc?!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.