The Student Room Group

Is Canada the country of the future?

It's hard not to look at it's land mass and resources, it's potential for more population, plus when you factor climate change, plus it's peaceful, successful civilization, and think it maybe the hope for the future. I can't really see that even the UK has those prospects, what with it's chronic overcrowding, and vastly smaller land mass. There is if of course a comparable nation in a cool zone, which is Russia. I wonder what their future will be? I think the UK may be self important and hard to sustain when I look at it's predicament, the greatness it aspires to but it's limited land and resources.

Scroll to see replies

When you differentiate the size of Canada with the size of its land which is inhabitable, it's not that much bigger than Argentina.
Original post by jake4198
When you differentiate the size of Canada with the size of its land which is inhabitable, it's not that much bigger than Argentina.

Are you talking winters or elevation?
Reply 3
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
It's hard not to look at it's land mass and resources, it's potential for more population, plus when you factor climate change, plus it's peaceful, successful civilization, and think it maybe the hope for the future. I can't really see that even the UK has those prospects, what with it's chronic overcrowding, and vastly smaller land mass. There is if of course a comparable nation in a cool zone, which is Russia. I wonder what their future will be? I think the UK may be self important and hard to sustain when I look at it's predicament, the greatness it aspires to but it's limited land and resources.

The UK isn't crowded lol. The problem is that the majority of people live in the south where all the jobs are i.e. England. Loads of room in N. Scotland and N.Wales. Just no jobs.
Original post by Themini
The UK isn't crowded lol. The problem is that the majority of people live in the south where all the jobs are i.e. England. Loads of room in N. Scotland and N.Wales. Just no jobs.

Is where I live. And you know what our politicians are like, they will keep insisting on more people, with overall GDP as the sole arbiter of economic success, hence we are bound, unless are ruling elites become any less dumb and suicidal anytime soon(unlikely)for mad over-population in the future.
I have pondered emigrating there you see.
Reply 6
I have pondered emigrating there you see.

Well its like living in a European country with American living standards. The Canadians are very civilised and they're mostly educated. Relative price of resources, food and housing is cheap due to the large land mass. Its a good country if you can deal with harsh winters and scorching summers :wink:.
Original post by Themini
Well its like living in a European country with American living standards. The Canadians are very civilised and they're mostly educated. Relative price of resources, food and housing is cheap due to the large land mass. Its a good country if you can deal with harsh winters and scorching summers :wink:.

Yeah, you can get away from that on the west coast though. And it looks beautiful.
So much for outdoor lovers. Plus enough cosmopolitanism. Yeah and land and space would be good.
Maybe not the country of the future, but certainly a country with a good future ahead of it. If its' housing market bubble doesn't burst
Original post by jackhaugh
Maybe not the country of the future, but certainly a country with a good future ahead of it. If its' housing market bubble doesn't burst

It would seem like the US may split. And it could have go into civil war. It just seems fairly hopeless for them. not sure I think much of Europe's future either. Canada seems to have plenty going for it.
It would seem like the US may split. And it could have go into civil war. It just seems fairly hopeless for them. not sure I think much of Europe's future either. Canada seems to have plenty going for it.

None of them have a rosy future, but I don't think anything will turn out as drastically as feared.
Original post by hezzlington

Meh I don't want Canada to grow I'm afraid it will become like the USA.
Yeah, you can get away from that on the west coast though. And it looks beautiful.
So much for outdoor lovers. Plus enough cosmopolitanism. Yeah and land and space would be good.

Vancouver is a very expensive city to live in, don't fool yourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xobeauty
Meh I don't want Canada to grow I'm afraid it will become like the USA.

As a Canadian, I don't think we will ever become like the USA unless we get a bad politician. Right now, with Trudeau, I think we'll be fine.
Canadians whom I talk to, don't seem too fond of Americans, we don't hate them, but I don't think we ever want to be like them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jake4198

What do you mean "inhabitable"? There's Canadians living up north, if you know. However, most of our population is south in the larger cities. Also, the cost of living up north is very expensive(because of its remoteness due to the low levels of population).

Posted from TSR Mobile

The U.S may split! Slipping into Civil War!!! Seems hopeless for us!!!!!!! WTF!
Did I miss something?

Canada does have something going for it; Some of the friendliest people in the world live there and it shares thousands of miles of open border with the oldest and most stable Democracy the world has ever seen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oldercon1953
The U.S may split! Slipping into Civil War!!! Seems hopeless for us!!!!!!! WTF!
Did I miss something?

Canada does have something going for it; Some of the friendliest people in the world live there and it shares thousands of miles of open border with the oldest and most stable Democracy the world has ever seen.

Oldest and most stable democracy? That would be the Britain..or maybe Greece
I might join you.
Oldest and most stable democracy? That would be the Britain..or maybe Greece

Britain wasn't a democracy at the time of our Constitution was ratified and, while Greece had a form of democracy, so few of it's residents were given the vote, that it could never be called a gov. of, for, and by the people. Also I don,t think it had the checks and balances, among other things, found in a true democracy
North Korea calls itself a Democracy so....go figure.

Latest

Trending

Trending