Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this is an important point to discuss considering the relative uncertainty at the moment regarding the terms of a Brexit. It is likely that British nationals who studied medicine in Europe would be excluded from open competition with UK graduates for foundation programme applications in a post-free movement of people Britain.

But what of applications to specialty training and beyond? Will British nationals who studied medicine in Europe be excluded again based on their country of qualification?

It could become a bit of a catch 22, where these graduates find difficulties in climbing the UK ladder because of their medical degree and also have difficulty in working in their country of qualification due to their nationality.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by coffee beans)
    I suppose this is an important point to discuss considering the relative uncertainty at the moment regarding the terms of a Brexit. It is likely that British nationals who studied medicine in Europe would be excluded from open competition with UK graduates for foundation programme applications in a post-free movement of people Britain.

But what of applications to specialty training and beyond? Will British nationals who studied medicine in Europe be excluded again based on their country of qualification?

It could become a bit of a catch 22, where these graduates find difficulties in climbing the UK ladder because of their medical degree and also have difficulty in working in their country of qualification due to their nationality.
    I think that it is very difficult to know what the impact that Brexit will have on anything at the moment. However if you are a British national who graduated in a European medical school, has completed the foundation program and has the right to work in the UK I am not sure how it would continue to work against you. There are currently medical graduates from all over the world working the UK and it doesn't seem to disadvantage them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by coffee beans)

I dont think it will make any difference. Its still the same degree they were satisfied with prior to Brexit, so they will continue to recognise it after. I wouldnt worry or be worried if it concerned me. Your argument would imply they are accepting weaker medical training now due to being in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I dont think it will make any difference. Its still the same degree they were satisfied with prior to Brexit, so they will continue to recognise it after. I wouldnt worry or be worried if it concerned me. Your argument would imply they are accepting weaker medical training now due to being in the EU.
    It's less about whether the degrees would still be recognised (they would) but more whether graduates from EU universities would still be considered on an equal footing with UK graduates at the application stage for various specialties, as they currently are, or would move to being considered only in the second round as graduates from the rest of the world currently are, plus whether they'd have to sit PLAB. We just don't know at the moment.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's less about whether the degrees would still be recognised (they would) but more whether graduates from EU universities would still be considered on an equal footing with UK graduates at the application stage for various specialties, as they currently are, or would move to being considered only in the second round as graduates from the rest of the world currently are, plus whether they'd have to sit PLAB. We just don't know at the moment.
    That would depend on the negotiations of how we decide to treat each others students. As you say we dont know, but if they cant agree soemthing with the EU as a whole, then expect it to go down to bilateral agreements. That might be where it gtes a bit more ropey for people who are qualifying in Bulgaria as opposed to one of the more advanced and wealthier western european nations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.