The Student Room Group

What was your favourite subject at school & what degree did you do?

So, my favourite subject at school has always been History. I am fascinated by past events and nothing is more interesting than a documentary on the Cold War or the British Empire.

However, I didn't decide to do a degree in History because it doesn't lead to a career.

Since I'm good at maths, and I like history, I eventually decided to apply for economics which I'll be starting at Leeds this year.

So, my question is:

What was your favourite subject at school:
What subject did you study at university:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Favourite subject at school was Geography

Studied Maths (Undegrad), Finance and Econometrics (Postgrad) and Economics (PhD)

But I really like Finance and even applied maths (like optimisation, cryptography), so it's still good.
Favourite subject in school was probably German or Maths. RP was pretty fun too but that was more down to my teacher than the subject. I did A level Maths and hated it. Ended up doing a Sociology degree but dropped out after the first semester. Going back to uni in September to do a degree in Modern Languages (German, Dutch and Russian).
My favourite subject was music. I did two music degrees* and am on my third one now :musicus:

*I was under the £3K tuition fees system though. I would have most likely done English Lit if I'd had to pay £9K per year in tuition fees
Reply 4
Maths & Maths
Reply 5
At school my favorite lesson was History.

Decided to study Politics/Economics at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved doing IT at school.

Soon to be starting a degree in Computer Science next year at University of Essex :biggrin:
My favourite subject was business studies, followed by maths.

I did a degree in Accounting and Management.
I can't remember having a favourite subject at school - I liked pretty much all of them. Out of my A-Levels my favrouite, and the one I was best at was Law, but I went on to do English BA and Modern Literature MA.
Favourite school subjects: Art and Physics

Degree subject: Geology (I dropped Art after GCSE, I scraped a C - love the subject but I'm just not very good at it. I was good enough at Physics to understand that I'd find university study of it would remove my enjoyment and I knew I wanted to do something completely new at university so....rocks it was)
History was my favourite subject at school and I did a history degree. I'm also about to start an MSt with the intention of doing a DPhil. History degrees can lead to many careers (which are not necessarily teaching either!) Personally, I didn't want to pay so much money for a degree that wouldn't have been my first choice purely because I was told another would have 'better' career prospects.
Physics was my favourite subject, and I did a degree in theoretical astrophysics. Now going on to do a masters in mathematics. If I could start my degree again, I'd possibly consider doing a degree in applied mathematics rather than theoretical physics, though they are basically the same thing I'd like to have done a little more mathematics in my undergraduate degree.
Maths and Chemistry were my favourite at school. Did a biology degree.

I realised that maths at a good uni would be too hardcore for me (and I particularly liked statistics). Chemistry was just too dry for me.
Maths, Maths.
Drama...although I also like English, Biology, RE and History. Hopefully become a dentist and part-time actor...finished GCSEs currently.
Reply 15
Mathemateg a Mathemateg
French was my favourite subject but also my worst! I did a Maths degree but I still learn French, so no regrets :biggrin:
Reply 17
I loved science at school and want to study biology or biochemistry at uni
I loved History for 5 and a half out of 7 years, but I loved both years of Economics, so probably the latter, although I'm better at History.

I'm doing Egyptology with Chinese at university!
Maths -> Earth Sciences

Quick Reply

Latest