Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, was just wondering what everyone thinks about this. I was having a conversation with my mum and she was saying that if my brother (age 20) had a girlfriend and brought her home to meet her, it would tarnish her opinion of the girlfriend if she stayed the night and slept in his room and not the guest room. She said its more socially polite for a girl to sleep in another room when first meeting the family, otherwise she'd consider her a bit ****gish.

I was quite surprised by this (and worried!) as I often sleep round my boyfriend's house in his bed and always have done. I would hope his parents didnt consider me a **** for sleeping in the same room! I thought it was normal. Does everyone else do this with their partners? Would you agree with the 'socially acceptable' idea for girls?

erm i dont think it is.

some parents like to have control over who sleeps where and what happens in their house. maybe she said that so you wouldnt sleep in the same room as someone?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. That's strange =/

My dad got me a double bed because my boyfriend stayed over so often, pretty much. Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's acceptable. I'd consider that normal behavior.

ReputationRep:
    when my girlfriend first stayed over, my parents were shocked that we jumped in the same bed, lol. but no, i don't think anyone can say it's ****gish. parents can be just a bit 'traditional' i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roobyloo)
    Hey guys, was just wondering what everyone thinks about this. I was having a conversation with my mum and she was saying that if my brother (age 20) had a girlfriend and brought her home to meet her, it would tarnish her opinion of the girlfriend if she stayed the night and slept in his room and not the guest room. She said its more socially polite for a girl to sleep in another room when first meeting the family, otherwise she'd consider her a bit ****gish.

I was quite surprised by this (and worried!) as I often sleep round my boyfriend's house in his bed and always have done. I would hope his parents didnt consider me a **** for sleeping in the same room! I thought it was normal. Does everyone else do this with their partners? Would you agree with the 'socially acceptable' idea for girls?
    It's called the 'generation gap'. :rolleyes: The majority of us here would not have a problem with it - however our parents might all have completely different ideas.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Can't see what's ****gish about sharing a bed with your other half.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone whose mum won't let his girlfriend sleep in his room. They're not allowed to do *anything* under her roof. :rolleyes: Personally I think it's ridiculous (especially given the 'nightly noises' many of us were scarred by as kids :p:) but hey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-little-mushroom-men)
    I know someone whose mum won't let his girlfriend sleep in his room. They're not allowed to do *anything* under her roof. :rolleyes: Personally I think it's ridiculous (especially given the 'nightly noises' many of us were scarred by as kids :p:) but hey.
    *raises hand* That's me too.

My boyfriend has to sleep in the spare room. I'm nearly 22. Only makes me more determined to save enough money to move out! Going home after graduating really does suck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roobyloo)

Well if it was the first time staying I wouldn't sleep in the same bed as my boyfriend as for me it would be me respecting my parents and his parents, it's still their house after all. Some people have different perceptions thats all ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    when i was 16 and my boyf nearly 16 we shared a bed. neither parents minded.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents seem to be living in the 1850s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    when my girlfriend first stayed over, my parents were shocked that we jumped in the same bed, lol. but no, i don't think anyone can say it's ****gish. parents can be just a bit 'traditional' i suppose.
    Were they in the room as you whipped off your clothes and embarked on an 'undercover' jaunt? If so I'd be pretty shocked too! :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's what you call the natural mother's hate for her son's "friends".
    Just like how if my sister ever had a boy around, my dad would pounce =]

ReputationRep:
    My parents wouldnt let me share a bed with my gf at home when i was at school, but since i've been at uni i think theyd be less fussed now. Fortunately my gf's parents didnt have a problem with it so i always stayed over at hers.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think it is at all '****gish' but I realise that some parents might, for example my own parents who don't even like me being in my bedroom with a boy, so I guess it's important to respect the ideas of the person's parents even if you don't agree. Parents can be very traditional sometimes unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Do you all have Tibetan monks for parents or something? If you're gf is staying over, of course you're gonna sleep together and have sex. That's the general idea!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe when you had just met the parents and hadn't been going out for long but when it gets to a certain point they shouldn't have a problem.

I've been with my bf 14 months and only just stayed over properly at his house last weekend. His parents didn't really know til the next day as we had rolled in at 1am and sneaked upstairs :p:.

But before, when he had asked his parents if I could stay (they said no as they didn't think my parents would approve) they said if I did I would be sleeping in my bfs bed with him in his brothers room. But for the past year we slept in the same bed if we fall asleep through the day, lie in bed and watch tv and obviously slept in the same bed at the weekend there and they don't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    My gf always stays in my bed when she stays over. My mam has never said anything about it really or even acknowledged it, maybe she ignores it but I don't think there's anything wrong with it, in fact it's perfectly natural.

ReputationRep:
    pretty old skool

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.