The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Expression
My dad paid full fees towards my first year - as he is obligued to due to his (and his alone; single parent) income that year.

For the second year, he's been assessed as having to pay just over £800. (£300 of LEA Support).

evil student loans people refused to assess me for my second year.....has his income droped this year?

love Katy ***
Reply 21
My parents are paying for my tuition and accommodation...on the condition that I look after them when they're old and grey!
ickle_katy
evil student loans people refused to assess me for my second year.....has his income droped this year?

love Katy ***

Yeah it has, mainly to account for the drop in the amount of O/T he did, and the loss of a supervisors premium.
Reply 23
i'm paying my fees, my parents are paying my accommodation and living costs.
I think my LEA will pay my first year fees as my mum's income is less than the amount (can't remember how much it was). I have also applied for a loan as well. I'm going to be living at home for free. No point living on campus since I'm only like 15 minutes to Central London by train.
Reply 25
alio
who's paying all your tutition fees for university? my parents won't pay mine coz im not gonna get the high grades they expected :frown:

I'm paying mine - damn government
Reply 26
clare_m
i think my dad was looking into buying me a house for 2nd and 3rd year for me to share with other people (that hopefully i'll meet). i think it would be unwise to not be on campus first year as u wudnt feel as involved.

I know, that is why I said I didn't want a house just yet (they still don't understand why!). I'll probably get one in the 2nd yr too :smile:
Reply 27
Manchester LEA pay all mine

Same here...except not Manchester LEA. :smile: Still, there is always accomodation and all the other shit to think about! My parents aren't paying for much.
my parents are paying for tuition and accomodation n all that crap. good job really as i have no money! although ive started working now tho.
The LEA are paying for mine again ... I think actually my parent's income is a little over what the threshold is but they take into consideration other things, like my is only 15 and so fully dependent on my Mum and Dad so they take that into account.

I'm paying for my rent and bills and everything else with my loan and the money I'm earning over the summer (already paid £720 in rent :eek: ) my Mum and Dad did offer to help but I said I'd rather try and manage by myself this year, although they are putting some money towards new furniture I need for my house :smile:
Reply 30
I'm gonna pay for my fees myself. Parent gonna pay accomodation and am gonna use the loan for living, try and save a bit too. Think its fair I pay tuition fees as Ive saved up a shed load of cash during my gap year.
Pencil Queen
If the overtime is a regular feature (ie he gets roughly the same each month) then it's considered to be part of his basic pay and so included in the gross pay calculation to work out how much support you get.

Sorry :frown:

Well not really. I mean he gets calls from work when people are ill and ask if he could fill in for them. They did state on the form that this amount is not guaranteed . Would that help me? I'm worried about the dept.
Reply 32
alio
who's paying all your tutition fees for university? my parents won't pay mine coz im not gonna get the high grades they expected :frown:

lol mummy n daddy r payin mine :biggrin:
Pencil Queen
The payroll office will know what is and wasn't isn't allowed to be included - if they've included overtime then the LEA/SLC obviously include it too. If you've been assessed as not recieving fee support they're unlikely to change their assessment I'm afraid - unless your family circumstances change drastically (ie your dad loses his job).

Well i just contacted the student finance direct as i have had no futher info about their decision and they told my i'm third in the pile and will know what i will get within the week. So i will have to wait and see. But what you said it dont sound good does it. :frown: . Thanks for you help.
Whats_The_411?
Well not really. I mean he gets calls from work when people are ill and ask if he could fill in for them. They did state on the form that this amount is not guaranteed . Would that help me? I'm worried about the dept.

Whatever value of money appeared on his Week 52 / Month 12 payslip as year to date pay (gross) you have to put down. Simple as that.

It's a rore deal but its how the system works, as the OT is money earned.
Pencil Queen
Fingers crossed - you might still get away with some support. When payroll depts produce proof of earnings letters they have to spell out the overtime component (ie how regular, how reliable etc) so it's possible that the LEA/SLC will realise that the overtime isn't a regular thing and so ignore it...they'll have solid guidelines to follow though, it just depends which side of the guidelines you end up falling.

:smile:

They put the amount of overtime he does over a year though. Will that work for me. He months without overtime. I mean we are a low income family. where all the weekly money is basically for the bills and food and then the money is gone.

How does it work though. If i am sucessful will they pay all of my fees or will they pay a fraction and then me paying the rest? Sorry to keep asking. :smile:
Whats_The_411?
They put the amount of overtime he does over a year though. Will that work for me. He months without overtime. I mean we are a low income family. where all the weekly money is basically for the bills and food and then the money is gone.

How does it work though. If i am sucessful will they pay all of my fees or will they pay a fraction and then me paying the rest? Sorry to keep asking. :smile:

If you're above the lower threshold (that figure around 21K) and below the upper threshold (around 32K) then you'll be expected to pay some of it, with the LEA providing the rest of the support.
Hey my brother is taking a gap year so will be going in the same year as me; do my parents get any reduction for having two kids at uni?
tomcoolinguk
Hey my brother is taking a gap year so will be going in the same year as me; do my parents get any reduction for having two kids at uni?

This is taken into account.
Expression
If you're above the lower threshold (that figure around 21K) and below the upper threshold (around 32K) then you'll be expected to pay some of it, with the LEA providing the rest of the support.

I just love it how this Bolshevik Government thinks a COMBINED (ie both parents) GROSS income of £32,000 INLCUDING such things as overtime etc is classified as "rich". Have they not heard of mortgages, food, petrol, insurance, TAX, expenditure on children, utility bills etc?

As I've said before, a fuzzy wuzzy can come here and, after four years of working, be eligable for permanent residence in the UK. He can then become "sick" and get incapacity benefit etc. His daughter will then get £1,000 a year in GRANT (new scheme from this year) for university.

My parents, in contrast, work damn hard, having to pay taxes for people who have no real right to be in this country, are punished with cripplying taxes when they earn and spend their income, and I am punished too by receiving a severly reduced loan and having to pay the full tuition fees.

That, apparently, is call "social justice".

Latest

Trending

Trending