Turn on thread page Beta

What I also find amazing is that over half of students don’t have to pay any tuition fees at all – i.e. their combined parental income falls below 21K gross. That would mean that, on average, each of their parents earns just £10,000 – which I find to be *******s. Which means, therefore, that many of them come from families where only one parent works, earns about £20K, and the other sits on her ass all day. Now, if that’s how they want to live that’s fine. But why should I pay for their lifestyle choice to have only one worker in their family? If they only want one parent to work then they must accept the consequences – i.e. reduced income. Why should I subside them? I can see an argument for helping a family where both parents work and are only on £10,000 each but not where one parent is a lazy so and so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having to pay for my accomodation costs and £900 for tutition fees although my dad will be giving me money each month for living costs.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    It's actually split into 1/3s

1/3 pay no fees
    1/3 pay part fees
    1/3 pay full fees
    ok. Well, I dont mind helping out families where both parents work but are on low incomes. But I do strongly object where one parent earns 20K and the other is a "homemaker" - they should not be helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    ok. Well, I dont mind helping out families where both parents work but are on low incomes. But I do strongly object where one parent earns 20K and the other is a "homemaker" - they should not be helped.
    I quite like the idea of being a 'homemaker'. I'm sure that I would go totally mad within 6 months though

ReputationRep:
    What I also find amazing is that over half of students don’t have to pay any tuition fees at all – i.e. their combined parental income falls below 21K gross. That would mean that, on average, each of their parents earns just £10,000 – which I find to be *******s. Which means, therefore, that many of them come from families where only one parent works, earns about £20K, and the other sits on her ass all day. Now, if that’s how they want to live that’s fine. But why should I pay for their lifestyle choice to have only one worker in their family? If they only want one parent to work then they must accept the consequences – i.e. reduced income. Why should I subside them? I can see an argument for helping a family where both parents work and are only on £10,000 each but not where one parent is a lazy so and so.

No consideration for sons/daughters in a one-parent family then... :rolleyes:

(Original post by Fluffy)
    I quite like the idea of being a 'homemaker'. I'm sure that I would go totally mad within 6 months though
    Well, if I am ever lucky enough to marry a Doctor I think that I may very well take the "homemaker" job.

(Original post by Expression)
    No consideration for sons/daughters in a one-parent family then... :rolleyes:
    My broad, sweeping allegations are not subject to scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    hmm..my mum earns an ok(teacher) wage but we are by no means rich and it will be a struggle when i go to uni. however my dad is ill and cant work any more, does the income from his pension count ? its not that much and its not the case that he chooses not to work, he is too ill.
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    LEA pay my fees, i'll get the £4095 loan and HE Grant thing - thats when the LEA arse to get back to me anyway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget about divorcees - if your parents are divorced and the one you live with earns less than the limit then you receive financial support, even if your other parent is a millionaire. (I think that's correct anyhow). That's why uni fees have been labelled 'a tax on happy marriages'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    Don't forget about divorcees - if your parents are divorced and the one you live with earns less than the limit then you receive financial support, even if your other parent is a millionaire. (I think that's correct anyhow). That's why uni fees have been labelled 'a tax on happy marriages'.
    I thought they had recently changed that???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I thought they had recently changed that???
    They quite possibly have - my info is from ages ago .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    They quite possibly have - my info is from ages ago .
    Yeah! I've just been ranting about it on another thred

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t53639.html

ReputationRep:
    Ta

ReputationRep:
    1. One parent families
    2. Retired parents
    3. Parents who work part-time
    4. Not everyone earns lots of money

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's mostly one parent famillies who earn under 21k but then there are those who don't work, cannot work etc and those who are just on low paid jobs so it's certainly not uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaïs)
    hmm..my mum earns an ok(teacher) wage but we are by no means rich and it will be a struggle when i go to uni. however my dad is ill and cant work any more, does the income from his pension count ? its not that much and its not the case that he chooses not to work, he is too ill.
    ana xxx
    Pension does count as income (does he recieve incapacity benefit from former employer(s)?) so this is where the main unfairness is, a parent earning a wage that is below what he/she would earn if able to work fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    who's paying all your tutition fees for university? my parents won't pay mine coz im not gonna get the high grades they expected
    My parents are paying the full tuition fees and my accommodation (they have to do the same for my older sister who took a gap year) and hopefully the student loan will cover everything else…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    My parents are paying the full tuition fees and my accommodation (they have to do the same for my older sister who took a gap year) and hopefully the student loan will cover everything else…

Lucky you !

Some of us have to pay for our accommodation out of ours loans. :rolleyes:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.