Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So far, I have know that I want to do Psychology and English Literature A levels. I want to become a lawyer. I have studied History and Sociology at GCSE. I did find Sociology more intriguing compared to History. In fact, I didn't like History because I found it dull. A few people have told me that you can get an A easily in Sociology. The History A level is about The Cold War and Tudors at my college. The Tudors seems interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I know that History A level is a facilitating subject, but I need too make sure that I get high grades at A level. I am okay at interpreting sources. My college does AQA History and Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _aishahxo_)
    So far, I have know that I want to do Psychology and English Literature A levels. I want to become a lawyer. I have studied History and Sociology at GCSE. I did find Sociology more intriguing compared to History. In fact, I didn't like History because I found it dull. A few people have told me that you can get an A easily in Sociology. The History A level is about The Cold War and Tudors at my college. The Tudors seems interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I know that History A level is a facilitating subject, but I need too make sure that I get high grades at A level. I am okay at interpreting sources. My college does AQA History and Sociology.
    I think A Level history is harder than sociology.Because I have experience if you do sociology easily you can get a higher grade.But if you do history and you need to do a lot of hardworking and it is hard to get higher mark.

ReputationRep:
    History would portably be more useful for a law degree, but if you really think it's that dull there's no reason to do it, considering you already have literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _aishahxo_)
    If you want to be a Lawyer, History is far better for you as it is based on qualitative analysis (how useful a piece of information is) whilst Sociology is based more on quantitative analysis (which is based on mathematics).

ReputationRep:
    I did the Cold War for GCSE and it was actually really interesting and you can see how things such as NATO developed, all about the development of nuclear arms, how USSR collapsed, the fall of Communism and basically so much which shapes the world in which we live today.
    So much better than the Tudors

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I did both at a level and they are very different from each other but you most certainly cannot compare them to what anyone would do at GCSE in those subjects.

History is a pretty hard subject at A level but it's one of the ones that are seen as good to have. While Sociology is extremely common, taken by many and easily passed.

I'd go for history if I were you, especially if you want to get into Oxbridge. It will be much more valued than sociology. The subject at A level is pretty interesting, especially the subjects. You might not find the topics interesting now but once you'd get into actually learning all the facts, events, people etc. You'd likely get into it.

After all, it's up to you. I'd say do the subject you'd enjoy the most, but at the same time don't do a subject just for an easy high grade

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.