Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 now going into year 13, looking to apply to Oxford mathematics, got 5A* 4A 1B at gcse and did AS maths, computing and government and politics a year early, and got AAC respectively. In my ASs I think I got A*AAB (maths a2, physics, chem, history). I'm worried that the C in government and politics and the B in History will prevent me from getting into Oxford even though they're not really related to maths, and I took G&P a year early (f*** knows why) and I'm dropping history.Just looking for honest information as to whether I'm still in with a chance of getting in to Oxford or whether I shouldn't bother applying. Sorry I know there's millions of posts like this. Cheers in advance.

ReputationRep:
    They only care about your top three, don't worry about it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Rouge123)
    I'm in year 12 now going into year 13, looking to apply to Oxford mathematics, got 5A* 4A 1B at gcse and did AS maths, computing and government and politics a year early, and got AAC respectively. In my ASs I think I got A*AAB (maths a2, physics, chem, history). I'm worried that the C in government and politics and the B in History will prevent me from getting into Oxford even though they're not really related to maths, and I took G&P a year early (f*** knows why) and I'm dropping history.Just looking for honest information as to whether I'm still in with a chance of getting in to Oxford or whether I shouldn't bother applying. Sorry I know there's millions of posts like this. Cheers in advance.
    They really only care about maths for Maths, and a bit about physics.

But this highlights, in case others are considering it, why it's folly to take AS or A-levels early... Universities don't make allowances if you take them early. They expect you do as well as candidates taking them at the normal time.

It's always quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holomanga)
    They only care about your top three, don't worry about it.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They really only care about maths for Maths, and a bit about physics.

But this highlights, in case others are considering it, why it's folly to take AS or A-levels early... Universities don't make allowances if you take them early. They expect you do as well as candidates taking them at the normal time.

It's always quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks and I know, if I could go back I wouldn't have taken them early but I didn't really know what I was doing at the time. Do you think it's worth me applying?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Rouge123)
    Thanks and I know, if I could go back I wouldn't have taken them early but I didn't really know what I was doing at the time. Do you think it's worth me applying?
    Yes. A lot depends on the MAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'll start preparing asap and smash the MAT, thanks

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is the MAT? I've heard about it a few times now but I haven't a clue what it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dysphoric)
    What on earth is the MAT? I've heard about it a few times now but I haven't a clue what it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mathematics Aptitude Test. The test that Oxford give to all applicants which decides whether they are interviewed.

On the topic of this thread, my friend got AAAD at AS. He's in Oxford now.

ReputationRep:
    They won't care

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.