Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Such as Python or Java, etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you know programming, then not too long. But to know all the features in and out on a pro level can take you a year or more. Do you have any programming experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Depends on the individual. I've asked this same question years ago when I first tried programming, and searched that question on Quora and stumbled upon lots of good answers:

Learning your first programming language is also learning about programming for the first time. That’s a lot to chew on. You have to learn the basic programming concepts and how to apply them with the language you have in mind. Your brain hasn’t yet learned how to wrap itself around these basic concepts and that requires time and practice. It also takes time and practice to learn how to apply logic and reason to solve programming problems. You can’t rush all this. It takes patience and perseverance.

If you study regularly, you should be able to make good progress within a year. Less if you work harder. After a year of study, you’ll be at the level of a “junior programmer.” You won’t be a “proficient” programmer, but you should be competent enough to start an entry-level position in IT. Whether you get hired, however, will depend on a lot of other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrahim)
    Do you have any programming experience?
    Yeah, but on coding.

(Original post by kkboyk)
    I've asked this same question years ago when I first tried programming
    Did you eventually learn programming?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but on coding.

Did you eventually learn programming?
    Nope I stopped, and now I'm picking it up by learning Python over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    You should learn Python quickly as it is very easy to learn since many of the commands are really similar to the English language.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1 hour
    https://code.org/learn
    click on an hour of code
    XD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What are you defining as learn? Everyone's defintions of learn are very different. Learn as in make your first working program? 5 minutes with pretty much any language will have you make a Hello World application. It's a working program. Learn as in be proficient enough to code your own version of Office, or an OS? Potentially decades of study with equally long investment times.

Learning a programming language and learning to program are 2 different things. Someone that knows python will be able to write python code. Someone that knows how to program will be able to write code in any language once they pick up the syntax.

In the grand scheme of things, it'll take several hours before you know enough to write anything useful. That could be as little as a few days to a few weeks depending on how much time you put in a day.

Nobody knows a programming language. For the majority, maybe even every programmer there is always something new to learn about your language of choice. So how long does it take to learn a programming language? Even something as simple as python, the answer is the rest of your life. You'll never know everything.

How long does it take to learn enough programming concepts to put to use in a language like Python, or Java? Not long, you could easily be building something in the first 10 to 20 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Your question is actually vague, because the thing we're all still constantly learning as the land of technology is constantly evolving so there really is no such thing as "how long will it take me to learn language x", it will take you far too long to learn everything there is about a language. It's not something we quantify, however, if you mean, how long will it take you to be able to reach a level where you can confidently write applications from scratch with minimal help then that would be a better phrased question.

(Original post by mrahim)
    If you know programming, then not too long. But to know all the features in and out on a pro level can take you a year or more. Do you have any programming experience?
    To get you out of a beginner level would take you atleast a year or two. To get you to a pro level takes a LOT longer. Probably 4+ years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Your question is actually vague,

To get you out of a beginner level would take you atleast a year or two. To get you to a pro level takes a LOT longer. Probably 4+ years.
    yeah i am in the process of learning java myself and i would say easily more then 1-2 years depending how much time you can invest.

since java/python are OO languages, there are other related stuff that would help to learn for it too.

ReputationRep:
    I've personally experimented with Python for around 5yrs, picking it up originally when I was around 11-12 - I'd consider myself to have a high understanding of it now, but honestly a basic understanding isn't that hard to pick up.

I'd suggest

https://codecademy.com/

It's amazing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.