Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    does anyone know what the Bioinformatics course is like here? Recommended? Where do you have most of your lectures/labs etc?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I do Bioinformatics

I would definitely recommend it, as long as you don't mind computer programming (You don't need any pre-knowledge of it, but you have to be willing to learn. Decision maths is a good fore-runner to it). Most of your modules have your lectures with the other students in biology. (Of the 8 modules I did this year, six were general biology modules). These lectures are mostly held in the Haworth building (Which, confusingly, is the chemistry building.)

The other two modules are bio150 and EE1E. EE1E is the programming module, and that has it's lectures held in the electrical engineering building, and it's labs (For the bioinf students) in the Bioinformatics suit in the main biosciences building.

Bio150 is, if you like, the Bioinformatics module. At the start you will be using programs other people have written to do basic things like translating & transcribing DNA. By the time you reach the end of the year, you will be writing your own programs to do this. Both lectures and labs for this subject are held in the Bioinformatics computing suite.

any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=edd8990]I do Bioinformatics

I would definitely recommend it, as long as you don't mind computer programming (You don't need any pre-knowledge of it, but you have to be willing to learn. Decision maths is a good fore-runner to it). Most of your modules have your lectures with the other students in biology. (Of the 8 modules I did this year, six were general biology modules). These lectures are mostly held in the Haworth building (Which, confusingly, is the chemistry building.)

[QUOTE]

is the level of programming you do quite hard to get to grips with? i only have a basic knowledge of programming from scottish standard grade computing, but is it a difficult part of the course if you know very little about it?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.