Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To find the "argument" you must find the angle in the triangle from the x-axis.

Do you find the argument from the positive bit of the x-axis always?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timebent)
    To find the "argument" you must find the angle in the triangle from the x-axis.

Do you find the argument from the positive bit of the x-axis always?
    Yes by definition. It is always from the positive Re(z) axis.

ReputationRep:
    Angle from the positive x axis yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Yes by definition. It is always from the positive Re(z) axis.
    ok right because i was a little confused thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah from the positive real axis (x). Always from the right side so the positive side 1st or 4th quadrant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do note that in some cases the principal argument is in [0, 2\pi) and in that scenario, you'll always measure anti-clockwise from the positive real axis. In other cases, however, the principal argument branch cut is (-\pi. \pi] and in that case, you'll measure counterclockwise for positive angles and clockwise for negative angles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Do note that in some cases the principal argument is in [0, 2\pi) and in that scenario, you'll always measure anti-clockwise from the positive real axis. In other cases, however, the principal argument branch cut is (-\pi. \pi] and in that case, you'll measure counterclockwise for positive angles and clockwise for negative angles.
    is it? that's interesting, what sort of cases would these be?
    i just though generally the values taken could range from negative pi all the way to positive pi only

ReputationRep:
    is it? that's interesting, what sort of cases would these be?
    i just though generally the values taken could range from negative pi all the way to positive pi only
    Some people prefer to use [0, 2\pi) others prefer (-\pi, \pi], it comes down to a matter of taste. In exams, you'll either be specified which or you can use either if not specified.

ReputationRep:
    Some people prefer to use [0, 2\pi) others prefer (-\pi, \pi], it comes down to a matter of taste. In exams, you'll either be specified which or you can use either if not specified.
    Ah right i see. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right i see. Thanks!
    You'll come across some examples and questions later on in FP1 when you learn about significance of the 4 different quadrants and how they determine the argument (in terms of how it's worked out and how it's measured).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    You'll come across some examples and questions later on in FP1 when you learn about significance of the 4 different quadrants and how they determine the argument (in terms of how it's worked out and how it's measured).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    sounds fun, teaching myself it too much fun xD
    probably better than learning something like stats, i hear from all my stats buddies about all the weird symbols and sign you gotta use to specify whatever lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In exams I think the exam boards expect you to use -pi to pi as the argument range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    In exams I think the exam boards expect you to use -pi to pi as the argument range.
    Yeah, that's what's In my book too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_atheist)
    I prefer [0, 2\pi) and use that myself, haven't been penalised. (Edexcel)

ReputationRep:
    Should say in the question whether it is  [0,2\pi ) \text{ or } (-\pi , \pi ] .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.