The Student Room Group

How much do your parents spend on your birthday?

On average, parents spend between 0.0025% to 0.005% of their annual income on their teens' birthday, which may include buying presents, hosting parties and going out for dinner.

How about your parents?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£0 I think. I don't really celebrate my birthday or ask for anything.
Reply 2
About £50 to £100 max when I was a teen, don't know how much I got as a child. I only had a few birthday parties here and there. I preferred going out for the day instead.

The most I got for my birthday was for my 21st when my family sent me to Reykjavik on holiday since I had never been abroad or on a plane in my life and my papa wanted to do something special for me. I'll never get that again though unless they win the lottery :laugh: forever grateful though for that holiday :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tianshan
On average, parents spend around 0.0005% of their annual income on their teens' birthday, which may include buying presents, hosting parties and going out for dinner.

How about your parents?

£10 would be 0.0005% of my mum's income and I guess that's about right. Depends how you count it. She usually gets me a card and takes my brother and I to Pizza Express using Tesco Tokens so in all, she probably doesn't spend over that on me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
My parents almost always give me money, and it has increased over the years. Last year I got £270, ordered pizza, watched movies and bought a cake (which was quite pricey). I don't like big parties. All in all, it was probably £350 max. I can't say what it is on average, though.
I would say they usually spend about £50-100, and on my 18th and 21st probably around £250 because they paid for a huge family meal :smile:
Reply 6
they give me money, so collectively between them it usually around £400-500
I went on a holiday for my birthday last year so Idk how much
It is around £600 but I Only really get money
I don't celebrate my birthday since I think it's pointless, but they give me money anyway, which is nice I guess.
I get £250 cash and then some presents
Original post by AperfectBalance
It is around £600 but I Only really get money

daamnnnnnn + what do you do with that money ??
Reply 12
I don't ask for anything, but I do try to get something for the people at work if I'm working that day.
Reply 13
Original post by fefssdf
daamnnnnnn + what do you do with that money ??

I feel desensitised to money at times, like £600 doesn't feel a lot to me when it should. I usually invest/save whatever money I have, I'm always looking for my next investment, it's becoming addictive maybe.

I can watch my investments move around a couple of hundred pound a day and it won't affect me, I've got around £14,000 in the stock markets.

Like my natural reaction to "I've got £600 pound" would be to get it up to £1000 to buy some shares in an awesome company at a great price"

Strange I know.
Reply 14
I get £300-500
But I never ask for anything from them so that's probably why I get a lot at my birthdays
Nothing, I come from a Shameless type family lol. I remember many a Christmas where we had beans on toast for dinner.
:cry2:
Original post by fg45344
I feel desensitised to money at times, like £600 doesn't feel a lot to me when it should. I usually invest/save whatever money I have, I'm always looking for my next investment, it's becoming addictive maybe.I can watch my investments move around a couple of hundred pound a day and it won't affect me, I've got around £14,000 in the stock markets.

Like my natural reaction to "I've got £600 pound" would be to get it up to £1000 to buy some shares in an awesome company at a great price"

Strange I know.

Hmmm, I personally have quite a bit in the bank and just think I'm not gonna buy things unless I actually need them which means I can go a month with spending like £10 or even less ahah
Reply 17
Original post by fefssdf
Hmmm, I personally have quite a bit in the bank and just think I'm not gonna buy things unless I actually need them which means I can go a month with spending like £10 or even less ahah

That's great....have a look at this:

http://www-marketing.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Warren-Buffett-Success-Quotes.jpg

You are doing some of what is in that link already! The rich become rich by spending less than they earn. But you must remember, money is very good at pulling money, it's a snowball effect. You can use the money you have in savings to pull in more money, maybe cash ISA, government bonds, corporate bonds or even stock market, but understand what you are doing before you dive in!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
wow, £6000, what did you do with it?
Original post by fg45344
That's great....have a look at this:

http://www-marketing.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Warren-Buffett-Success-Quotes.jpg

You are doing some of what is in that link already! The rich become rich by spending less than they earn. But you must remember, money is very good at pulling money, it's a snowball effect. You can use the money you have in savings to pull in more money, maybe cash ISA, government bonds, corporate bonds or even stock market, but understand what you are doing before you dive in!

Yh I'd to think I'm very good with money ; I might have a look actually at my account to see just how much I spend cause I still think I could improve a bit; I might do a 30 day no spend challenge soon as well just to prove I don't need to spend anything. I have looked into bonds and stuff before but sometimes I get a bit scared of the ' risk ' but I guess I should look at investing or even just a cash ISA maybe during uni would be interesting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending