Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started the Capgemini grad scheme two weeks back, and from Monday onward I'll be working in Worthing Monday - Friday. Driving down from South Wales, staying in Brighton throughout the week.

Does anyone have experience of doing similar? I'm just curious as to what people do with their spare time? Do you get bored, lonely? Slowly go insane?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hale12345)
    I started the Capgemini grad scheme two weeks back, and from Monday onward I'll be working in Worthing Monday - Friday. Driving down from South Wales, staying in Brighton throughout the week.

Does anyone have experience of doing similar? I'm just curious as to what people do with their spare time? Do you get bored, lonely? Slowly go insane?
    My current partner works as an Estimator (basically works in construction).
    When he finished his Masters, he went to join a very well known construction company called Kier near where he lives. However they always send him projects that are outside of his local area; his latest projects were in London and Reading. Although the pay was good, he often complained to me that he never had any spare time.

As a result he went back to his old job where they've made a mutual agreement to pay him more than what he had earned there.

I'd say although it is not an ideal situation I would stick with the job and maybe something local will come up. That was what I had to do to gain some experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.