Laptop is going on an absolute mad one Watch

hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I think it's the cooling fan? Every now and again my laptop just starts whizzing really loud as if I were doing something really intensive like playing a game (which is pretty normal) - when in reality all I'm doing is just on microsoft word or something like that. The actual temp of my laptop is really cool and there's no performance decrease when it happens. Is there a way to see what's going on? I tried the task manager but I'm not sure on how to interpret any of the CPU usage data.
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hezzlington)
So I think it's the cooling fan? Every now and again my laptop just starts whizzing really loud as if I were doing something really intensive like playing a game (which is pretty normal) - when in reality all I'm doing is just on microsoft word or something like that. The actual temp of my laptop is really cool and there's no performance decrease when it happens. Is there a way to see what's going on? I tried the task manager but I'm not sure on how to interpret any of the CPU usage data.
What laptop are you using?
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
What laptop are you using?
Custom made.
Vav Sartrean Po
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Custom made.
How do you expect us to help you then lol
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
How do you expect us to help you then lol
I don't know. Ask more questions. We'll get to the bottom of this! :excited:
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ring up your laptops tech support maybe? The laptop sounds like it's overheating. What surface do you have it on?
scientific222
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That happened to me until I opened up my laptop and found blockages in the fan
Jordy24700
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How much RAM is your computer using all at once? If it's not much, then your cooling fan is either generally loud or its inefficient or broken.
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Ring up your laptops tech support maybe? The laptop sounds like it's overheating. What surface do you have it on?
I wrote in the OP it's not hot at all :dontknow: Internally or exeternally. It's on my table, flat, with the heat vents facing out, unobstructed. I also have a decent thermal paste.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wrote in the OP it's not hot at all :dontknow: Internally or exeternally. It's on my table, flat, with the heat vents facing out, unobstructed. I also have a decent thermal paste.
Maybe your fan is malfunctioning then?

Do you know how to use commands?
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jordy24700)
How much RAM is your computer using all at once? If it's not much, then your cooling fan is either generally loud or its inefficient or broken.
how do I check?
Al-farhan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can happen, and despite you thinking it is a mundane task it might be heavy load on the laptop.
Sometimes while browsing esp on sites that use flash the ram/cpu usage will go up substantially.
Are any other programs open?
Check your performance using task manager (ram/cpu usage)
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Maybe your fan is malfunctioning then?

Do you know how to use commands?
No.
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Al-farhan)
Can happen, and despite you thinking it is a mundane task it might be heavy load on the laptop.
Sometimes while browsing esp on sites that use flash the ram/cpu usage will go up substantially.
Are any other programs open?
Check your performance using task manager (ram/cpu usage)
memory usage is at 50% atm.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No.
Your fan could be dusty, maybe clean it?
As others have said there might be a program on your laptop using a lot of memory which is causing your laptop to overwork. Open task manager and end anything that is running unnecessarily.
Your fan BIOS might need updating.

The list of possible causes is endless...
Jordy24700
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go to Task Manager and you should be able to see your RAM usage by looking at your computer performance.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This currently happened to mine and it is custom made. The problem is due to overheating. So what I did is cut down the amount of programs running using task manager, opened the laptop up and cleaned the dust using compressed air and it worked.

If the problem keeps persisting then, contact the company you got it from, and also think about buying a cooling pad for your laptop.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What OS are you running? Assuming it's a modern version of Windows, go into Task Manager and see if there's anything that's hogging the CPU or RAM (click on the CPU/RAM headings to sort by CPU/RAM usage). If you've got something like System and Compressed Memory using up a load of CPU or memory then it's probably an issue with Windows which a lot of people (such as myself) seem to be having - this is particularly likely if it's Windows 10 which has a lot of CPU/memory usage issues. You could spend hours googling to try to find a solution but I'm just going to a clean install in a couple of weeks which will hopefully fix it.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you tried looking on Task manager to see if anything unusual is running?

Also, have you tried downloading/installing Core Temp? That will tell you what the CPU temperatures are, so will give an indication as to whether it is overheating, or whether it is something else.
Al-farhan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
memory usage is at 50% atm.
50% for just word is quite high.
What is the cpu percentage too?
What is your total ram?
Go to the process tab on your task manager and click on the memory tab so that processes are listed from the most memory consuming to the least. The program at the top of the list is what is using so much memory.
I'm running about 30 chrome tabs, skype, word, notepad, adobe acrobat and only using 40% of my 16gig ram.
So you either running a lot of things or u need ram upgrade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (47)
72.31%
Leave (18)
27.69%

Watched Threads