Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all,

I slept with a girl in Bolivia without protection. I was very drunk and barely remember it but I'm sure it happened. From what I remember, she said she hadn't had sex in a year. Will I be OK? She was slightly older. Like 35 odd and lived in a building with her mum and aunt and this makes me think she doesn't sleep around loads?

Any thoughts please guys? This is my first time like this and I'm a little nervous *
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Testing is the only way to know.

For HIV, it's unlikely (even if she was HIV+, the risk is low) and you'll need to wait at least a month for the test to give accurate results. For most other things, a week or so should be enough.

What makes you think she's ok in terms of pregnancy or catching something from you?

(Original post by unprinted)
    Testing is the only way to know.

For HIV, it's unlikely (even if she was HIV+, the risk is low) and you'll need to wait at least a month for the test to give accurate results. For most other things, a week or so should be enough.

What makes you think she's ok in terms of pregnancy or catching something from you?
    She defo wouldn't have caught anything from me. I know I'm clean. Pregnancy I have no idea tbh, I don't remember if I even could finish or what. *Hmm, clinic in Bolivia though? Would it be legit? *I'm not back to a western country for atleast a month or two, and that's USA and that will be expensive even for a check up I assume*

ReputationRep:
    Indeed the only thing you can do is get tested man... Although I should point out reliable testing for certain venereal diseases such as HIV cant be done until a couple of months after potential exposure. Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She defo wouldn't have caught anything from me. I know I'm clean.
    How do you know?

The cost of US testing depends on where you go, what you want and what your travel insurance says. But yes, it can be expensive.

For HIV, if you're not going to put anyone else at risk, it's pointless: you're not going to have any damage to your immune system for several years and can wait until you're back here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.