Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just not too sure how to deal with this anymore Watch

Hi Guys,

I don't usually post on here very often but when i do the amount of support i get is just outstanding.

So here's my problem, I am 17 and this problem has been around since i was 14 or so. My parents and I's relationship has got so bad that i don't think you can even call it a relationship anymore. Throughout my childhood i would say i have had a fairly strict life. I haven't been one to fly of the handle but my patience has run out. They are still trying to impose this strict upbringing of rules which nobody i know has to deal with. The way my parents deal with stress is by shouting and arguing, don't ask me why but is how its always been. Anyway, in the last couple of years i have started to shout back, argue back and me being stupidly strong willed and not backing down easy, I keep going and I've just turns plain nasty without any intentions to. Everyday I am reminded of how important my education is and how everything they have done is to set me up for my future but I'm sick and tired of thinking like this, i want to do what i want. Everything i do wrong I get told am an embarrassment and how disappointed they are. My future is so blind at the moment because i know I'm not smart enough to do what i want to do. Don't get me wrong they are supportive but its got to the point where they need to leave me alone.The arguments have got so bad I am just depressed, i am dreading the rest of my life and i know its not going to get any better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi Guys,

I don't usually post on here very often but when i do the amount of support i get is just outstanding.

So here's my problem, I am 17 and this problem has been around since i was 14 or so. My parents and I's relationship has got so bad that i don't think you can even call it a relationship anymore. Throughout my childhood i would say i have had a fairly strict life. I haven't been one to fly of the handle but my patience has run out. They are still trying to impose this strict upbringing of rules which nobody i know has to deal with. The way my parents deal with stress is by shouting and arguing, don't ask me why but is how its always been. Anyway, in the last couple of years i have started to shout back, argue back and me being stupidly strong willed and not backing down easy, I keep going and I've just turns plain nasty without any intentions to. Everyday I am reminded of how important my education is and how everything they have done is to set me up for my future but I'm sick and tired of thinking like this, i want to do what i want. Everything i do wrong I get told am an embarrassment and how disappointed they are. My future is so blind at the moment because i know I'm not smart enough to do what i want to do. Don't get me wrong they are supportive but its got to the point where they need to leave me alone.The arguments have got so bad I am just depressed, i am dreading the rest of my life and i know its not going to get any better
    What is it they want you to do and what is it you want to do? You are very young you won't have to have them breathing down your neck your whole life.

They are just controlling and want things done their way, never open to suggestion or complaint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi Guys,

Hey, I know how you feel, usually parents are trying to guide us throught life by telling us what to do. Parents have some experiences in life and usually they don't want us to have the same because not every single one of them were actually good, so, in my opinion, they are always trying to save us from what can be a potential scar in the future. Don't be mad at your parents, I'm pretty sure they love you very much and that's why they are trying to tell you what to do, because they care about you. I don't know what you want to do, but I recommend that you could try to have an open conversation with them, try to expose your feelings and point of view and let your parents expose their too. You should also visit a psichologist, if it's possible, ask your parents to visit one too, you should ask them to help you to recover the relationship you guys had before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.