Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i have a current uncond place at birm med school, however after taking a gap year and travelling for 6 months realised that although medicine will be a fantastic career, i would like to change to physiotherapy. Reasons including that physio has all the attributes that made me want to be a medic, eg career works with people, interest in human biology, working as a team etc etc however the course is 3 years and not 5 +2 years training, this giving me another chance to travel after uni.
    have not rang the uni up yet and am wondering what everyone thinks of my situation. I think it may be hard for to explain to the uni why i wish to change and if they will accept my reason, i really dont know. Also left it quite lat in the day, but have only just returned from travelling.
    anyone been in a similar situation?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    How much research have you done in to physio? If you're going in with your eyes wide open, then best of luck to you. If not, then do some ASAP... I have friends who are qualified physios who can not find work...

You might have to take another year out, as physio is rather competative...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    How much research have you done in to physio? If you're going in with your eyes wide open, then best of luck to you. If not, then do some ASAP... I have friends who are qualified physios who can not find work...

You might have to take another year out, as physio is rather competative...
    do you have any physio specific work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackieS)
    do you have any physio specific work experience?
    Hey Jackie - I guess this was aimed at the OP, not me :p: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somerset)
    hey
    i have a current uncond place at birm med school, however after taking a gap year and travelling for 6 months realised that although medicine will be a fantastic career, i would like to change to physiotherapy. Reasons including that physio has all the attributes that made me want to be a medic, eg career works with people, interest in human biology, working as a team etc etc however the course is 3 years and not 5 +2 years training, this giving me another chance to travel after uni.
    have not rang the uni up yet and am wondering what everyone thinks of my situation. I think it may be hard for to explain to the uni why i wish to change and if they will accept my reason, i really dont know. Also left it quite lat in the day, but have only just returned from travelling.
    I would stick with Medicine, there are quite a few areas you could go into which are related to physiotherapy, for example what about rheumatology? Or orthopaedics? Its more years of study but you could go on placements abroad, and have a lot more responsibility in your career. Its up to you at the end of the day but see if you can get some work experience with a physiotherapist first.

ReputationRep:
    are you bonkers?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Jackie - I guess this was aimed at the OP, not me :p: ?
    oh yes of course! But if you wish to tell us about any physio work experience you have then go ahead lol

ReputationRep:
    I did a two week physio SSM in my first year - shaddowed ITU physios, neuro/rehab physios, paeds physios, resp physios, etc

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily bonkers - 3 years instead of 5, if would prefer that role why study longer to do something they don't want etcetera.

ReputationRep:
    I did a two week physio SSM in my first year - shaddowed ITU physios, neuro/rehab physios, paeds physios, resp physios, etc
    excellent - I'm sure there'd be a place on a physio course should you wish to change your mind lol

(Original post by somerset)
    hey
    ah, from dumb (medicine) to dumber (physio)

don't know why anyone these days would go into anything nhsy by choice.

ReputationRep:
    a doctor I said yesterday was talking to me about my physio dgeree - he told me he thought physio was the best of the medical professions.....and then looked very puzzled when I then asked why he was a doctor then lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.