The Student Room Group

Ive been stupid

Hey, so im in africa, had a tad to much to drink, cant remember anything, but been told that i wondererd off with a guy for a while... So is it possible to not know if youve slept with someone, whats like the % chance of contracting hiv with oral/unprotected sex, hmmm what to do?
Oral: nil, or as near nil as makes no difference.

Intercourse: it depends on whether it was anal or vaginal, amongst other things. It could be 'about' 3%, it could be 0.3%, it could be nil (he's not HIV, you didn't have intercourse, or he's been on anti-HIV drugs for at least six months). Do you know who the guy was?

Depending on what the health system is like where you are, it would be worth getting Post-Exposure Prophylaxis - a month's supply of anti-HIV drugs. If you start taking them within 72 hours of being sexual with someone who's HIV+, it significantly reduces the chance of becoming HIV+.

You could do with some better friends too...
Reply 2
Original post by unprinted
Oral: nil, or as near nil as makes no difference.

Intercourse: it depends on whether it was anal or vaginal, amongst other things. It could be 'about' 3%, it could be 0.3%, it could be nil (he's not HIV, you didn't have intercourse, or he's been on anti-HIV drugs for at least six months). Do you know who the guy was?

Depending on what the health system is like where you are, it would be worth getting Post-Exposure Prophylaxis - a month's supply of anti-HIV drugs. If you start taking them within 72 hours of being sexual with someone who's HIV+, it significantly reduces the chance of becoming HIV+.

You could do with some better friends too...

Haha i guess so, but we were all pretty hamered and thet say they didnt see me leave. We'd met him a few times before, not really, i asked him if we did and he says he cant remember (only one person can remember the night i didnt know him either). Damm this was over 72hrs ago. But your saying chances are pretty slim even if we slept together unprotected right? Youve eased my mind a bit, but i might get a test in a couple months. Thankyou for your reply!
For vaginal sex, if he's HIV+ - which country are we talking about? - it's 'about' 1 in 1,000 to 3 in 1,000 but it can go higher or lower, depending on things like when his infection happened, if it's being treated, and if either of you have any other infections.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, so im in africa, had a tad to much to drink, cant remember anything, but been told that i wondererd off with a guy for a while... So is it possible to not know if youve slept with someone, whats like the % chance of contracting hiv with oral/unprotected sex, hmmm what to do?

100%
100%

Completely - and dangerously - wrong.
Reply 6

You can contract HIV from any bodily fluids being shared, if you have any small cuts or ulcers in the mouth or gums, HIV can be contracted this way. Oral sex is less likely to lead to HIV but there are still some cases of it. Sexual intercourse is the main way (apart from sharing needles) that HIV is spread. I really hope you're okay and have the all clear, but I would get checked out.
Original post by unprinted
Completely - and dangerously - wrong.

Lel
Reply 8
If it involved bodily fluids theres a fair chance, 1/100, 1/1000,1/100000 it doesn't make especially much difference as everyone thinks they're not that 1 in million. With those things i'd say it's better to ignore the odds and get tested regardless.

Either way whatever was done involving bodily fluids makes it a possibility.

That all being said there's two tests 1 for the antibody and the RNA you can get the RNA test about a fortnight after for it to be reliable and the antibody test is advised at about 1-3months with 3 being the optimal due to the incubation period.

Quick Reply

Latest