Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Where a question asks you to find the quadratic equation that has a+bi as one of its roots

how do we know the first step to solving this will be realising that

(x-(a+bi))(x-(a-bi)) ??

why do i sub the pair into the place of the constants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timebent)
    Where a question asks you to find the quadratic equation that has a+bi as one of its roots

how do we know the first step to solving this will be realising that

(x-(a+bi))(x-(a-bi)) ??

why do i sub the pair into the place of the constants?
    Assuming the coefficients of the quadratic are real, if a+bi is a root, then its conjugate a-bi is also a root.
    Now a root of p will come from a factor of (x-p), whatever the value of p...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    Assuming the coefficients of the quadratic are real, if a+bi is a root, then its conjugate a-bi is also a root.
    Now a root of p will come from a factor of (x-p), whatever the value of p...
    This bit that's it.

How do i know it's in the form (x-a)(x-b)? where a and b are the roots of the equation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timebent)
    This bit that's it.

How do i know it's in the form (x-a)(x-b)? where a and b are the roots of the equation
    Well if a quadratic has roots  \alpha \text{ and } \beta then it can be written as  (x-\alpha )(x-\beta ) .
    Think about it, when you solve a quadratic, you set it to 0 and then you factorise and find the values of x for when each of the factors is 0. So you know that a quadratic with roots 2 and 3 can be written as (x-2)(x-3) because if you had (x-2)(x-3)=0 you would have no problem telling me the roots.
    From this it follows that if one the roots, \alpha , is  a+bi then the quadratic can be written as  (x-(a+bi))(x-\beta ) .
    If a quadratic (or any degree polynomial) with real coefficients has complex root w=a+bi then its complex conjugate  w^* = a-bi is also a root of the quadratic (this holds true for any degree polynomial with all real coefficients).
    From this we know that a-bi is also a root of the quadratic equation so we can say that  \beta = a-bi so the quadratic can be written as  (x-(a+bi))(x-(a-bi)) .
    But generally if any polynomial of degree n with the form
     \displaystyle x^n + a_1 x^{n-1} + a_2x^{n-2} + \ldots + a_{n-1}x + a_{n} has roots  \alpha _1, \alpha_2, \ldots \alpha _n , then it can be expressed in the form
     \displaystyle (x-\alpha _1 )(x-\alpha _2 )\ldots (x-\alpha _{n-1} )(x-\alpha _n ) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Well if a quadratic has roots  \alpha \text{ and } \beta then it can be written as  (x-\alpha )(x-\beta ) .
    Think about it, when you solve a quadratic, you set it to 0 and then you factorise and find the values of x for when each of the factors is 0. So you know that a quadratic with roots 2 and 3 can be written as (x-2)(x-3) because if you had (x-2)(x-3)=0 you would have no problem telling me the roots.
    From this it follows that if one the roots, \alpha , is  a+bi then the quadratic can be written as  (x-(a+bi))(x-\beta ) .
    If a quadratic (or any degree polynomial) with real coefficients has complex root w=a+bi then its complex conjugate  w^* = a-bi is also a root of the quadratic (this holds true for any degree polynomial with all real coefficients).
    From this we know that a-bi is also a root of the quadratic equation so we can say that  \beta = a-bi so the quadratic can be written as  (x-(a+bi))(x-(a-bi)) .
    OHHH!!1 thanks for that, just needed some clarification on that ^-^
    I really am simple minded and forget stuff sometimes

ReputationRep:
    Just an easier way to find the quadratic equation.

The quadratic equation will be in the form x^2 -(a+b)x + ab...

Where a = 1 root and in this case, b = it's complex conjugate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.