Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im currently studying at Sheffield University, going into my second year this Septemeber. I am on a three year degree and I am currently looking at Masters equivalents to study in the US preferably Harvard/Yale/Princeton. Hoping to study Mathematics or Chemistry, ideally a course combining the two! Any information would be great regarding how I go about this etc. Anybody else applied for a post-grad degree in the US??
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I plan on applying to Harvard for postgrad in a few years.

Start here:
    http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/programs...athematics.php

I'm under the impression the US doesn't like (non-professional course) masters degrees as most of the schools I've looked at don't offer them.

ReputationRep:
    Most graduate schools focusing on non-vocational academic subjects do not really offer Masters degree programs, bnut let you do a Phd immediately. It, however, does take longer (minimum 4 years). That's the impression I got from my friends, but I might be wrong and you would be best to ask Shady Lane, who knows much more about US higher education.

I think that in vocational subjects, such as medicine and law, you first get a masters degree (there is no undergrad law or medicine education anyway) and then go and do a phd if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about master's programs, but i know someone who was working toward their undergrad. at chicago, and they said the program was challenging, plus being in chicago would offer the opportunity for a lot of internships etc. That might be a school to look into, it's well respected here in the states ranked higher than some of the ivies.

ReputationRep:
    good luck ...it will be very tough.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.