Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you please help me with the below questions? Or point me in the direction of somewhere I can gain some help in answering them? My learning materials provided with this unit aren't very helpful!

Name:  taq1.2.png
Views: 97
Size:  13.2 KB

Which molecule, a to e:
    a) Is one of the monomers which combine to form starch?
    b) contain peptide bonds?
    c) could be an oil?
    d) is one of the molecules that form a triglyceride?

Give a reason for your choice of letter for each one.

TIA!

ReputationRep:
    a) Starch is an energy storage molecule used by plants made up of many glucose monomers. So you're looking for glucose. You can recognise sugars as they are rings so it's D.
    b) Peptide bonds are the bonds which form between amino acids to make proteins. Proteins are large molecules which look like folded up chains, so it's A.
    c) Oils are triglycerides (molecules made up of glycerol with 3 fatty acids bonded to it). B is a triglyceride- you can recognise the 3 zig-zag chains (the fatty acids) coming off of one other molecule (glycerol).
    d) Triglycerides are made up of glycerol and fatty acids. E is glycerol. It's a three carbon molecule with an alcohol group on each carbon.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sindyscape62)
    a) Starch is an energy storage molecule used by plants made up of many glucose monomers. So you're looking for glucose. You can recognise sugars as they are rings so it's D.
    b) Peptide bonds are the bonds which form between amino acids to make proteins. Proteins are large molecules which look like folded up chains, so it's A.
    c) Oils are triglycerides (molecules made up of glycerol with 3 fatty acids bonded to it). B is a triglyceride- you can recognise the 3 zig-zag chains (the fatty acids) coming off of one other molecule (glycerol).
    d) Triglycerides are made up of glycerol and fatty acids. E is glycerol. It's a three carbon molecule with an alcohol group on each carbon.

Hope that helps!
    You've literally saved my life, thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tracijune)
    You've literally saved my life
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, that's hardcore. Who or what was going to kill you if you hadn't got them right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Wow, that's hardcore. Who or what was going to kill you if you hadn't got them right?
    Myself if I get anything less than a distinction on the unit as a whole! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.