The Student Room Group

I got kicked out of uni, Can I appeal?

Can someone please help me? I just found out that I have been kicked out of uni as they are not giving me the opportunity to retake my exams. I had disastrous first year. I did not get financial help from student finances as I was not eligible for it which meant I had to get a part time job at the start of uni. I knew I would struggle with uni work but I was just managing to stay afloat with the workload. Until the first month of my second semester my gf of a year told me she was pregnant which completely halted my uni work as I was stressed as to what to do. I thought my life was over as I thought Id have to drop everything to take care my gf and the child but it wasn't to be as she had a miscarriage just 2 months afterwards. This hit us both us quite hard and I fell into depression for some time.I had spent a whole semester doing almost nothing and the subsequent semester when I should have been trying to catch up with the work I spent depressed, unmotivated and constantly working.I ended up missing my exams and not handing in assignments. Although I had hoped to at least retake some during august to at least pass or preferably retake the year with a fresh start. There is an appeal period of 10 days do I even have a leg to stand on? Please help
Original post by Dony1995
Can someone please help me? I just found out that I have been kicked out of uni as they are not giving me the opportunity to retake my exams. I had disastrous first year. I did not get financial help from student finances as I was not eligible for it which meant I had to get a part time job at the start of uni. I knew I would struggle with uni work but I was just managing to stay afloat with the workload. Until the first month of my second semester my gf of a year told me she was pregnant which completely halted my uni work as I was stressed as to what to do. I thought my life was over as I thought Id have to drop everything to take care my gf and the child but it wasn't to be as she had a miscarriage just 2 months afterwards. This hit us both us quite hard and I fell into depression for some time.I had spent a whole semester doing almost nothing and the subsequent semester when I should have been trying to catch up with the work I spent depressed, unmotivated and constantly working.I ended up missing my exams and not handing in assignments. Although I had hoped to at least retake some during august to at least pass or preferably retake the year with a fresh start. There is an appeal period of 10 days do I even have a leg to stand on? Please help

Deffo appeal - its not like you were just lazy and didnt bother to work. This definitely sounds like mitigating circumstances.
Make sure you go to the doctors too and gather evidence - did you go for your depression at all? If you did, ask your doctor to provide a note stamped by the practice so you can give it to the uni if they require proof.
Or ask your girlfriend, if she's willing, to provide proof from her doctor about her pregnancy and miscarriage etc.
Explain about the job and your mood. If you havent already seen a doctor about depression, I recommend you go now because the earlier you get help, the better it is for you in the long run, and having a doctor to confirm your illness could help you at uni too.
If you have evidence of the miscarriage it will be easy to have a successful appeal. If not its just as likely they call you on being full of sh** but I'd stay optimistic :smile:
Hi,

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. It sounds like you had a lot going on and a lot of things to think about due to which your uni work suffered. Did you at any point let your personal tutor know what was going on or contact the advice and counselling center for some help? If not then the uni doesn't really know what was going on. Did you apply for extenuating circumstances? At this point your best bet is to get in touch with your personal tutor and your SU to see what they advise. Someone from the SU will also be able to help you with and attend your appeal. Good luck!
Reply 4
I'm in a similar position of having to appeal for depression. however I know my chances of approval are lower because its better to apply for extenuating circumstances before the results. But its worth appying. especially if you can get medical evidence backing you
Tell them what you just told us. Literally.
Dont hide. If you wnat to stay then you must appeal. You have nothing to lose. Personal tutor plus SU advisor. get the rules and the form.
Read the rules plus then you need supporting evidence.
You should definitely appeal with extenuating circumstances. Go talk to student services ASAP who can advise you in a supportive environment. They may also be able to help with your finances (you may be eligible for something you didn't know about).

Clearly some stuff went down this year and I'm sure the university will see that.
**** me if they don't accept your appeal they have no heart.
Reply 9
You should win your appeal easily, if not then sue the bastards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending