Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm still a newbie to the whole flashing firmware concept and after doing much research, I have ultimately decided it's time to pop the cherry! However, I'm going to try flashing a custom rom on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 mini before I mess around with my s6.

So I have rooted the device with RootKing (a once step rooting application) and I have confirmed successful root via Root Checker. I have also downloaded CWM Recovery version 6.0.2.7 (I realise this may be outdated however, I'm pretty sure it was released after the S3 mini). Now, am I right in thinking that my next steps would be to download a compatible ROM and Gapps zip file to the phone, backup the current OS with CWM, and then clear cache, factory data and delvik before flashing the ROM?

Would this successfully upgrade my firmware on the device, also is the CWM back-up sufficient safety just in case something goes tits up?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You'd do better visiting dedicated forums and looking at threads for people rooting their S3's. You'll get a full run down of everything you need to do with step by step instructions which will be far better than anyone here giving snippets of advice.

And it's far better than bricking your device because someone here said yes that sounds like the right thing to do but it turns out you weren't told to download a specific ROM for your firmware or something. There's also no one right way to do it and steps tend to vary depending on exactly what you're trying to flash.

I've rooted an S4 and a Note 5 and have dabbled with a few other devices and mods but would not at all be comfortable advising you on the step by step procedure for flashing a ROM to an S3 Mini. Go find a thread where someone has done it successfully and follow there instructions. XDA should have everything you need.

(Original post by King Leonidas)
    Hey guys, I'm still a newbie to the whole flashing firmware concept and after doing much research, I have ultimately decided it's time to pop the cherry! However, I'm going to try flashing a custom rom on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 mini before I mess around with my s6.

So I have rooted the device with RootKing (a once step rooting application) and I have confirmed successful root via Root Checker. I have also downloaded CWM Recovery version 6.0.2.7 (I realise this may be outdated however, I'm pretty sure it was released after the S3 mini). Now, am I right in thinking that my next steps would be to download a compatible ROM and Gapps zip file to the phone, backup the current OS with CWM, and then clear cache, factory data and delvik before flashing the ROM?

Would this successfully upgrade my firmware on the device, also is the CWM back-up sufficient safety just in case something goes tits up?
    I did this with a Galaxy Tab 7.0 2 and it's really quite easy.

You've got CWM, which is handy but I've found that writing a new bootloader through Odin is easier (even if a little scarier for a first-timer). Just download the applet, plug your phone in, and follow the instructions.

For the bootloader, I'd go with PhilzTouch (or however it's stylized), as that's compatible with more modern firmwares. Once that's confirmed to be there (turn phone off, then turn it on while holding VOL UP, or whatever your instructions say), turn your phone off and grab your FW of choice (I would personally use CyanogenMod - go to the site and download the latest FW for your device) along with the appropriate gapps archive (which you'll have to look for), and put them on a microSD card and slap that into the phone.

Then turn it on and whack it into recovery mode again, for real this time.

Then:
    1. Wipe user data (factory reset)
    2. Clean to install new ROM
    3. Wipe Dalvik cache
    4. Install ROM from SD card
    5. Install gapps from SD card
    6. Hope to **** it worked
    7. Reboot
    The great thing about the recovery mode is that if you do manage to munge up the installation, it'll boot back into recovery mode when it works that out, allowing you to look for another FW that's going to work.

Happy 'droiding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I did this with a Galaxy Tab 7.0 2 and it's really quite easy.

You've got CWM, which is handy but I've found that writing a new bootloader through Odin is easier (even if a little scarier for a first-timer). Just download the applet, plug your phone in, and follow the instructions.

For the bootloader, I'd go with PhilzTouch (or however it's stylized), as that's compatible with more modern firmwares. Once that's confirmed to be there (turn phone off, then turn it on while holding VOL UP, or whatever your instructions say), turn your phone off and grab your FW of choice (I would personally use CyanogenMod - go to the site and download the latest FW for your device) along with the appropriate gapps archive (which you'll have to look for), and put them on a microSD card and slap that into the phone.

Then turn it on and whack it into recovery mode again, for real this time.

Then:
    1. Wipe user data (factory reset)
    2. Clean to install new ROM
    3. Wipe Dalvik cache
    4. Install ROM from SD card
    5. Install gapps from SD card
    6. Hope to **** it worked
    7. Reboot
    The great thing about the recovery mode is that if you do manage to munge up the installation, it'll boot back into recovery mode when it works that out, allowing you to look for another FW that's going to work.

Happy 'droiding.
    Thanks for the helpful response, would the flashing work if I was to follow the latter steps you've provided without looking into writing a new bootloader? Also, you mentioned the significance of the custom recovery, will CWM backup recover my current rom and phone state if anything goes wrong?

(Original post by King Leonidas)
    Thanks for the helpful response, would the flashing work if I was to follow the latter steps you've provided without looking into writing a new bootloader? Also, you mentioned the significance of the custom recovery, will CWM backup recover my current rom and phone state if anything goes wrong?
    Probably, but I'd get the new bootloader anyway - it's more stable and more compatible.

Again, probably, but I never tried, as the stock FW is actually available online.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.