Turn on thread page Beta

What to do in summer after 1st year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi its me again.

I just passed 1st year with a top mark and so far am 8 weeks into my summer holiday before 2nd year. I basically have not done a single thing productive (just chilling with mates, sleeping 12hr sleeps, video gaming and light partying lol). I am going on a long holiday in a few weeks which gives me like another 7 weeks of doing nothing.

Whilst I would happily like to carry on with my regime, I really feel guilty in not doing something productive. I was wondering whether I should revise for 2nd year or perhaps USMLE step 1 which I have briefly started last week? Do medical students do this lol (the ones who get top deciles)?

And before you say "enjoy your the rest of your holiday", I am the type who wants to be doing something beneficial to myself and thus realistically don't want to spend another 7 weeks dossing about.

Any other suggestions as to what one could do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medicalstudent1)
    Hi its me again.

I just passed 1st year with a top mark and so far am 8 weeks into my summer holiday before 2nd year. I basically have not done a single thing productive (just chilling with mates, sleeping 12hr sleeps, video gaming and light partying lol). I am going on a long holiday in a few weeks which gives me like another 7 weeks of doing nothing.

Whilst I would happily like to carry on with my regime, I really feel guilty in not doing something productive. I was wondering whether I should revise for 2nd year or perhaps USMLE step 1 which I have briefly started last week? Do medical students do this lol (the ones who get top deciles)?

And before you say "enjoy your the rest of your holiday", I am the type who wants to be doing something beneficial to myself and thus realistically don't want to spend another 7 weeks dossing about.

Relationships and sleeping are important parts of life Pick up a sport? Gym? You can't force yourself to enjoy things so just do whatever comes naturally and you find you can stick with it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi its me again.

I've just finished third year. Personally, if it was me, I would continue chilling out and spending time with friends exactly as you are. Be sure to take the time and enjoy your holiday. Once you qualify and start working you'll probably never have time to enjoy yourself like this until you retire, so just enjoy it while you can. That's my advice anyway

ReputationRep:
    I regret not travelling and doing more 'out of the box' things with some of my long summers. The last two years I have done work exchanges on farms (going again to a new farm on Sunday woo!), and I wish I'd discovered something like that sooner.

As you say, the summer can seem long and uneventful, but DON'T waste it revising. Honestly it won't be productive. It's a little late to organise anything this summer, but if you genuinely want to do something towards your career for next summer, I would look ito getting involved in some kind of research project that you can get a publication out of. That will carry real points forward when you are applying for jobs and training posts in the future. Anything else I would consider a waste of time and good weather

ReputationRep:
    Hi its me again.

I just passed 1st year with a top mark and so far am 8 weeks into my summer holiday before 2nd year. I basically have not done a single thing productive (just chilling with mates, sleeping 12hr sleeps, video gaming and light partying lol).
    Heavy partying.

ReputationRep:
    Hi its me again.

2nd year medic here! What I did after 1st year summer was getting to do research for 9 weeks! it was a hectic summer but did not regret a single bit. I also shadowed a paediatrician for a week to have some more clinical exposure (although still in preclinical year!).

This year, I decided to tone it down. Learning a new language and spending time with family and friends! I have a USMLE step 1 first aid book with me. It's quite an easy read. But since I have not gotten a date for step1, there isn't much motivation.

ReputationRep:
    Rather tediously, I spent most of my first three summers working in temp admin jobs to clear my overdraft (we weren't allowed to work in term time). Didn't go on any exotic trips - Austria was as far as I got! But I agree with everyone else that using it just studying is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, will probs not be doing that much then haha. Will perhaps look over 2nd year material a couple of weeks towards the end though.

Also, do any of you know when the best year/time to be involved in research and get published is?

ReputationRep:
    I would say get a job, but it's probably a little too late now. It's a certain point of pride for me that I have managed to work during my Summers the past three years- it gives me something to get out of bed for, I'm able to save up to have a good amount of money to do what I want in the following year, and the mindless monotony is actually a pretty decent way to de-stress after the academic challenges that have drained by brain power of the year.

If you can find some work, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    holidays are meant to be non-productive times to just do what you want, so just carrying on doing things that make you feel happy like chilling with mates ect and enjoy the holiday ; sounds good !

ReputationRep:
    Agree with not just studying, although holidays might be the only time you get to focus on the USMLE. I would suggest mixing up each summer vacation... work (if finances necessitate), research, holiday, intense studying (if sitting an extra-curricular exam such as the USMLE, and by all means squeeze in some 12 hour naps as well...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.