Turn on thread page Beta

Motion of No Confidence in the Government watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Motion of No Confidence in the Government
    Proposed by: hazzer1998 MP (UKIP)
    Seconded by: cranbrook_aspie MP (Lab), EricAteYou MP (Lab), Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP), Quamquam123 MP (Lab), SoggyCabbages MP (Lab)

This House has no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.

Over 90 days have passed since the opening of the 23rd Parliament, the Government has created five bills; has failed to produce a budget in the 90 days’ deadline it set itself; provided a response to the crisis produced by the Crisis Committee that was not only indicative of a non-caring attitude towards one of the regions of the UK, but was the result of a failure to properly analyse the situation and would have been catastrophic if done in real life; and has produced few Statements of Intent when the Government’s own coalition agreement states all Secretaries of State must produce a Statement of Intent in the first 90 days of the term - indeed, the Prime Minister himself stated that this part of the agreement had now been suspended, indicating that the two parties, and in particular the Conservatives, had expectations of what it is like to be in government that just did not match the reality. In addition, the Government has simply failed to address many of the issues raised in the last Motion of No Confidence.

That is not all. The incompetent Government is in a state of uncoordinated disarray and a large divide is beginning to form between the two governing parties. Following the decision by two Liberal MPs to vote against the Government's recent Trade Union bill, the Prime Minister mercilessly axed them from the Cabinet. It is notable that the Prime Minister failed to persuade even his deputy to vote in favour of the bill until after it went to Division, and it is clear that miscommunication on a basic level is happening between the government leadership and the ordinary members, as the leadership appears not to have been aware of disagreements over a piece of major legislation that were so strong they led to a defection. The level of tension that is currently present in the Government is highly concerning; it is clear that both parties do not have a unified strategy for the term. As well as criticising the leadership of the Liberals, Conservative MPs are also attacking each other. Rakas publicly scolded Jammy Duel by saying to him 'for frack sake, don't publicly insult the leader of our coalition partners. And yes... I felt the need to say that publicly.' It is obvious from this that there is a dangerous level of division even among the Conservatives, never mind between them and their coalition partners.

In the Conservative General Election manifesto, the Conservatives promised to commit to tax reforms, change the pension system, expand access to private tutors, protect digital privacy, and introduce measures to help people struggling with finances, however, the Conservatives have failed to meet any of these promises through legislation. The same can be said for the Liberal Party, in the Liberal manifesto there were promises to build garden cities, increase the minimum wage, increase the personal allowance, crack down on tax havens, improve the prison system, decriminalise certain drugs, introduce basic life support lessons, legalise euthanasia and expand northern airports: all have failed.

When questioned about the lack of activity from the government, the same excuses are given with the Government repeating the same excuse about real life getting in the way, exams taking priority, and everything being written months ago but it is being finalised for publication: all excuses. Of course, these excuses are only acceptable when they apply to this government, and not to anyone else, in the view of many government members.

It is time for a governmental reality check, A level exams, AS level exams and GCSE exams ended three weeks ago. If the government is incapable of writing a Statement of Intent, or finalising all of the wonder items written, the government has a serious activity crisis: they are living in fantasy land if they think their handling of the responsibilities of government is in any way acceptable, and they need to be replaced.

The Government is not stable, the frequent changes of cabinet positions indicate mistrust, incompetence, and desperation where the reduced number of cabinet positions are being filled up by any member who wants to feel important. If governance was taken seriously, the cabinet ministers would all have an interest in their role, items would be written, and things would be done to bring about the ideals of the cabinet minister. The Conservative/Liberal coalition has been given a chance to succeed. It was put on notice after the extremely close result of the last VoNC, and since then it has shown that it just isn’t up to the job. There are other parties ready and waiting to take charge of the government subforum and place the interests of the model UK in safe, competent and experienced hands. To quote Oliver Cromwell, ‘You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately. Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!’
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I put forward a Motion of No Confidence against the Government a month ago but unfortunately they have failed to address the concerns that were raised in that. If anything since then, the situation has worsened. Certain Tories are treating their Liberal partners with contempt and the in-fighting that is taking place is extremely unhealthy. LP recently claimed a budget would be released soon but there is still no sign of it, begging questions of its existence altogether. The Government's legislation programme is a disaster with a distinct lack of legislation and the two parties clearly disagreeing on the bills that have been released. The current Government is nothing short of a farce and I would urge you to acknowledge that things just aren't working and to vote in favour of this MoNC.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Omg, I love MoNCs!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I personally would have given the government a little bit more time but they certainly haven't given me any reason to be confident in them.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Interesting Cromwell quote there - didn't think Kippers like Republicans.

One would assume UKIP support this motion, so I look forward to the right supporting a left-wing Government

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Probably aye but I'll wait for more comments.

In regards to the first paragraph, I seem to recall 2 months being the target for things to be ready. So I'm really not sure where 90 days has come from at all...
    However I do agree with everything that is said after that and do regard the government as failing especially in recent terms. They are even less active then LUG.

I completely agree with the second paragraph about how the government seems disunited and fractious so not much to say here.

The rest of it is pretty much the same and it's just stating facts so it's fairly agreeable.

ReputationRep:
    I too shall reserve this post!

In seriousness I can't do anything but vote for the motion as much as it pains me to vote for something Hazzer and UKIP are also voting for. I am unsure if this was the time to do it, and the motion, from a quick skim, could have been better in content, but at the end of the day it is asking me if I want to vote to keep a tory led government or remove one, and that is an easy answer.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Unusual for me to agree with UKIP in something
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Not sure what I find funnier, the MoNC, or the fact that certain members are apparently so insecure they feel the need to publicly state they want to reserve a post :rofl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Not sure what I find funnier, the MoNC, or the fact that certain members are apparently so insecure they feel the need to publicly state they want to reserve a post :rofl:
    What else would you write?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Not write anything at all and actually comment when you have something to say? It's not like the relevant people will stop reading after the first page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Not write anything at all and actually comment when you have something to say? It's not like the relevant people will stop reading after the first page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I care about the 'irrelevant' people too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Well, there's not much point me just repeating what Petros has said... If anyone is so insecure they just have to have a post on the first page, I'm sure I could find some numbers for councillers or therapists for anyone that needs them!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I put forward a Motion of No Confidence against the Government a month ago but unfortunately they have failed to address the concerns that were raised in that. If anything since then, the situation has worsened. Certain Tories are treating their Liberal partners with contempt and the in-fighting that is taking place is extremely unhealthy. LP recently claimed a budget would be released soon but there is still no sign of it, begging questions of its existence altogether. The Government's legislation programme is a disaster with a distinct lack of legislation and the two parties clearly disagreeing on the bills that have been released. The current Government is nothing short of a farce and I would urge you to acknowledge that things just aren't working and to vote in favour of this MoNC.
    There's no sign of it as the budget is "almost" done, rather than completely 100% done. I didn't realise we were all sharing half-written bits of legislation.

Whilst there has undeniably been tension recently, the Governments leadership remains United and we will continue to pursue our agenda as usual over the coming days

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Well, there's not much point me just repeating what Petros has said... If anyone is so insecure they just have to have a post on the first page, I'm sure I could find some numbers for councillers or therapists for anyone that needs them!
    I don't see how it's insecure. Maybe egotistical?

But it's obvious you're burning right now so I'll just leave it be.

ReputationRep:
    Is this really going to end up an argument on reserving posts. It's a non-issue that made me chuckle when I saw, how about members of the government actually tackle the MonC content and make a case for voting against it
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Is this really going to end up an argument on reserving posts. It's a non-issue that made me chuckle when I saw, how about members of the government actually tackle the MonC content and make a case for voting against it
    How can I take this MoNC seriously, when I've seen three posts in this thread which I can only assume are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, we totally couldn't see this coming! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    oh ffs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    There's no sign of it as the budget is "almost" done, rather than completely 100% done. I didn't realise we were all sharing half-written bits of legislation.

Whilst there has undeniably been tension recently, the Governments leadership remains United and we will continue to pursue our agenda as usual over the coming days

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But the fact is, LP said quite a few days ago that it would be released in the next few days and there is still no sign of it whatsoever. Not even a post saying 'it will be released tomorrow' or 'it will be released on Saturday'.

At the moment, the Government seems anything but united but Tories viciously attacking Liberals, Liberals defecting and Tories even attacking each other. And this is just what's happening in public.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.