Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jazz Improvisation and Playing by ear Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now I have passed my grade 8, I want to progress onto jazz improvisation and ear playing. However, this is a whole new ball game and huge amounts of theory go into it. I really want to learn as quickly as possible, but don't know of many good resources which are free and extremely useful.

I lack a lot of theory and play in bands with better musicians then me, and to be quite frank it makes me feel a little bit akward but I have always said to myself take every chance you can to play with those who are better then you. I really want to become proficient at the sax, however, in relation to jazz I just don't know which direction to go. It's not like other areas, such as tone or sight reading, which have simple methods for you to improve. Any help from students who may be extremely good at playing or even professionals would be helpful. Currently, my music teacher is taking me through the first steps, such as recognizing chords and the appelgios and scales that go with them - you know, G7, C7, Cm 9/3 etc. All of th em really. Already baffled by this, but I have a lot of free time now and hopefully a lot of determination to go with it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Khanthebrit)
    Now I have passed my grade 8, I want to progress onto jazz improvisation and ear playing. However, this is a whole new ball game and huge amounts of theory go into it. I really want to learn as quickly as possible, but don't know of many good resources which are free and extremely useful.

I lack a lot of theory and play in bands with better musicians then me, and to be quite frank it makes me feel a little bit akward but I have always said to myself take every chance you can to play with those who are better then you. I really want to become proficient at the sax, however, in relation to jazz I just don't know which direction to go. It's not like other areas, such as tone or sight reading, which have simple methods for you to improve. Any help from students who may be extremely good at playing or even professionals would be helpful. Currently, my music teacher is taking me through the first steps, such as recognizing chords and the appelgios and scales that go with them - you know, G7, C7, Cm 9/3 etc. All of th em really. Already baffled by this, but I have a lot of free time now and hopefully a lot of determination to go with it
    well sure I'm not grade 8 (6 :getmecoat:)but I know for a fact that playing by ear takes practice!
    I have quite good theory but I learn and find it easier to compose by ear than to write it down. ANYWAY (no deviation cheese :slap: )
    I would reccomend starting by listening to some of ur favourite jazz peices and without the score try and work out what notes u are hearing
    with grade 8 this shouldnt be too hard as you've said in OP, you're getting the hang of chords and shet but complex melodies is another thing

sorri if thats completeley shet but i tried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    well sure I'm not grade 8 (6 :getmecoat:)but I know for a fact that playing by ear takes practice!
    I have quite good theory but I learn and find it easier to compose by ear than to write it down. ANYWAY (no deviation cheese :slap: )
    I would reccomend starting by listening to some of ur favourite jazz peices and without the score try and work out what notes u are hearing
    with grade 8 this shouldnt be too hard as you've said in OP, you're getting the hang of chords and shet but complex melodies is another thing

sorri if thats completeley shet but i tried
    Thanks for the feedback. While I am grade 8 at the saxophone, that qualification in my opinion does not represent my aural or theoretical skills in music. I never decided to academically study music at school, but now I have a gap year I would really want to work in improving my sax playing. I don't think my problem so much lies with actual playing, I mean anyway can play a solo by just memorizing the fingering and working on the articulation. It is the actual theory, and then putting it onto the saxophone that i struggle with.

I don't know whether you are able to, but can you pretty much jam with a band and improvise certain bits/play other parts of the melody by ear without the need for music. I desire to acheive this level and I hope it will open me up to great sax playing with many other bands when I go off to university, but knowing where to start and what areas need focusing on and which don't is hard. By learning jazz, am I also learning to play by ear, or just knowing what notes fit which chords? I'd like to get to a style of playing where I can improvise, use my ear to play songs and have a good tone (tonality I know what to do to work on), these other areas I don't know where to start.

As you say, is it literally just trying to work out the score of jazz solos? Could someone with bad aural skills be able to work out stuff from Charlie Parker, Miles David etc? I don't care how long it takes, but if you feel this is the road to actually tuning the ear and becoming more proficient at jazz, I might begin giving these more complicated songs a go.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Khanthebrit)
    Treas need focusing on and which don't is hard. By learning jazz, am I also learning to play by ear, or just knowing what notes fit which chords? I'd like to get to a style of playing where I can improvise, use my ear to play songs and have a good tone (tonality I know what to do to work on), these other areas I don't know where to start.
    As you say, is it literally just trying to work out the score of jazz solos? Could someone with bad aural skills be able to work out stuff from Charlie Parker, Miles David etc? I don't care how long it takes, but if you feel this is the road to actually tuning the ear and becoming more proficient at jazz, I might begin giving these more complicated songs a go.
    Lol same I didnt take music
    I am able to do as you said, although it is different because I am talking about piano and sometimes (rarely) violin (sax is my dream instrument to learn, stop de-railing cheese :slap:) sorry!
    Start by doing as i said, playing some cool jazz track and trying to work it out. Then, if on the track they freestyle, have a go yourself! The more u try it, the better you will get at both these things!Eventually you will be able to do it instantly and get to CP and MD like u said!
    Do try and I wish you the best of luck, it sounds awesome!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.