The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Compensated Pass

Hello, I've finished my second year of Graphic design. I got a mark of 36 for one of my projects, when the pass mark is 40. I knew I had to work over the summer to get it sorted ready to resubmit, but I haven't been told when that date is.

My issue is I recently got my final results sent to me through the mail, and next to my failed project it says 'compensated pass' with a mark of 40. I did read the back of the letter and searched online, but I'm still unsure as to what this means. I have emailed my tutors but just got automated replies back saying they are busy. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it means and what I need to do now?

Thank you :smile:

ProgressionThe Board of Examiners shall consider your overall performance at the first meetingfollowing the completion of the study of each stage. If you have obtained the creditnecessary to complete the stage, the Board of Examiners shall permit you toprogress to the next stage.If you are on a full-time or sandwich undergraduate programme and have notobtained the credit necessary to complete the stage, the Board of Examiners shallmeet after the referral period to consider your performance including any referrals ordeferrals. If you have then obtained the credit necessary to complete the stage, theBoard of Examiners shall permit you to progress to the next stage. If you have notobtained the credit necessary to complete the stage, the Board of Examiners willconsider you for compensation if you have failed 20 credits or less, provided youhaving attempted all the final assessment in the unit(s) in question.

Your post doesnt really make sense as you you mix tenses.

1. You scored 36, which is a fail.
2. You expect to resit.
3. Your results now say 40 and compensated pass.

Considering you nearly passed they have used their discretion to copunt either th 36 as either as good as a pass (compensated) or they have remarked you to 40. Kist confirm this with the department and it looks unlikely you will need to resubmit.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger

Your post doesnt really make sense as you you mix tenses.

1. You scored 36, which is a fail.
2. You expect to resit.
3. Your results now say 40 and compensated pass.

Considering you nearly passed they have used their discretion to copunt either th 36 as either as good as a pass (compensated) or they have remarked you to 40. Kist confirm this with the department and it looks unlikely you will need to resubmit.

Thank you for your reply. I have dyslexia so I thought I may have done something wrong with this post that didn't make much sense, sorry about that.

When I first got my grade from my tutor it said 36, I spoke to her and she said I needed to resubmit. Then when my second year was over we got all our grades back from the exam board. This is when I saw it had said I had a mark of 40 with a compensated pass next to it. But I didn't want to just assume they had passed me.
Hi there,

Susan from the University Information Centre here...if you email me at the Info
Centre on [email protected] with your full name I can check with the
department for you or alternatively I would be tempted to give them a call
directly on 023 9284 3801 and ask to speak to course admin for Graphic Design. They will be really happy to explain to you and then you will know for sure.

Original post by Beccaa293
Hello, I've finished my second year of Graphic design. I got a mark of 36 for one of my projects, when the pass mark is 40. I knew I had to work over the summer to get it sorted ready to resubmit, but I haven't been told when that date is.

My issue is I recently got my final results sent to me through the mail, and next to my failed project it says 'compensated pass' with a mark of 40. I did read the back of the letter and searched online, but I'm still unsure as to what this means. I have emailed my tutors but just got automated replies back saying they are busy. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it means and what I need to do now?

Thank you :smile:
Thank you for your reply. I have dyslexia so I thought I may have done something wrong with this post that didn't make much sense, sorry about that.

When I first got my grade from my tutor it said 36, I spoke to her and she said I needed to resubmit. Then when my second year was over we got all our grades back from the exam board. This is when I saw it had said I had a mark of 40 with a compensated pass next to it. But I didn't want to just assume they had passed me.

No worries, it was just a little confusing as to which events had happened.
See the post from the Uni above and their willingness to assist as the Uni are the only people who can confirm what's happened. O gave you mu interpretation on what a C pass is and looked at the rules for you. Get on the phone as suggested and you will get your answer sooner.

On another point you might wnat to have a word with your tutor for feedback as you need to be doing better and with coursework its an opportunity for you to get good marks as most things are under your control. Definitely something I would do to avoid such issues in the future.
Reply 5
Thank you for the advice and help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice and help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yw. The last point is a good one though because a number of people have posted on here with some disappointing results and they add up. You wnat to be passing all your courses with good marks, so if you have trouble, then make sure you get full sipport from the disability people and your tutor. That will give you the best chance of doing well.

If you dont ask you dont get, so its important to address any issues early, so you can graduate with confidence and give yourself the best chance.
Reply 7
Ueah i gethelp and suport due to my dylexia. Ive passed and hot good grades on my other projects, it was littrally just down to timing for this project.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending