Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, in UK there isn't a "fever for ranks" as we find in other parts of the world, specially in terms of Universities and Programs.

Having been accepted in one PhD Program in Management and waiting the answers of other two, I would like to know from an "insider of the British academic arena", which one is considered to have the greater academic reputation. They are Strathclyde (Glasgow), Leeds and Manchester.

I would welcome also your opinion about life in these three cities.

Many thanks

In general reputation terms, as I have no idea about individual statistics for your course, I'd say Manchester first, then Leeds, then Strathclyde. Also probably in terms of city life as well. Manchester and Leeds are both excellent.

ReputationRep:
    manchester and leeds are the 2 with the best reputations from that list, and the nightlife in both cities is very similar and very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfnc)
    As far as I know, in UK there isn't a "fever for ranks" as we find in other parts of the world, specially in terms of Universities and Programs.
    You are sooooooooooooooooooooo wrong here! Search the web for university league tables and you will find many conflicting ones. Famous one appear in the Times and the Guardian newspapers. Plus there are subject specific tables as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfnc)

Having been accepted in one PhD Program in Management and waiting the answers of other two, I would like to know from an "insider of the British academic arena", which one is considered to have the greater academic reputation. They are Strathclyde (Glasgow), Leeds and Manchester.

Many thanks
    Id say Manchester and Leeds are just ahead of Strathclyde overall though theres not much between them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfnc)

Many thanks
    What? Half the posts on this entire board are concerned with rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airport Fairy)
    In general reputation terms, as I have no idea about individual statistics for your course, I'd say Manchester first, then Leeds, then Strathclyde. Also probably in terms of city life as well. Manchester and Leeds are both excellent.
    I agree with the first part, but Glasgow is a wonderful city - easily the equal of Leeds, and perhaps Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not biased at all, but Manchester is the single most important place on the planet. So I'd go with there.

Manchester

ReputationRep:
    All the cities have similar histories: massive C19 heavy industry, early C20 decline, late C20 massive regeneration. They all now offer great urban lifestyles within a short distance from spectacular countryside.

As to the universities, each has a strong reputation in general (there may be some unwitting bias amongst posters as the unique nature of Scottish universities are not generally well understood south of the border). As this is a PhD rather than an undergraduate programme then you should really base your choices on the supervisor you will work with and detailed, subject specific criteria rather than which has the best student union.

The UK has periodic reviews of the research activity of (pretty much) every subject area in UK HE. The Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) includes external peer review and is loathed by most academics who see it as a bureaucratic attempt (true) to tell the freedon-loving academic community what to do (partially true) however as the results are one of the criteria used to calculate univeristy funding the RAE can't be ignored. The last RAE was in 2001 and the next one will be 2008. Although there may have been changes to your proposed department since the last RAE you may find the results a useful starting point.

www.hero.ac.uk provides lots of info. including the RAE results.

Good Luck with your research. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfnc)

Many thanks
    manchester's business school is in the top 10 imo, better than leed's and stratclyde's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenverDiva)
    All the cities have similar histories: massive C19 heavy industry, early C20 decline, late C20 massive regeneration. They all now offer great urban lifestyles within a short distance from spectacular countryside.

As to the universities, each has a strong reputation in general (there may be some unwitting bias amongst posters as the unique nature of Scottish universities are not generally well understood south of the border). As this is a PhD rather than an undergraduate programme then you should really base your choices on the supervisor you will work with and detailed, subject specific criteria rather than which has the best student union.

The UK has periodic reviews of the research activity of (pretty much) every subject area in UK HE. The Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) includes external peer review and is loathed by most academics who see it as a bureaucratic attempt (true) to tell the freedon-loving academic community what to do (partially true) however as the results are one of the criteria used to calculate univeristy funding the RAE can't be ignored. The last RAE was in 2001 and the next one will be 2008. Although there may have been changes to your proposed department since the last RAE you may find the results a useful starting point.

www.hero.ac.uk provides lots of info. including the RAE results.

Good Luck with your research. :cool:
    totally off topic but i love it how many post industrial cities are now experiencing, or have been for som years, amazing regenerations and renewal.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to many UK cities and world wide ones, and Manchester can easily compete with the best of them. It has all the shops you could ever need, great clubs etc. Manchester Business School is perhaps one of the most underated in the country and is extremely high quality. Its also very expensive for a lot of post graduate courses.

Like fishpaste I am not at all biased, but I would say Manchester. Leeds is a good city but is much more built up than Manchester, Manchester is always very near to countryside.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.