Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am taking a gap year now because my a level results were not very good.
    I learned about HND course through a business teacher of mine who had done it.
    I also learned about foundation year that allows you to gain entry to the degree.
    If I did foundation degree and top up after, would it still count as bsc or be seen as inferior. I want to do business management and do a graduate programme.
    so which do you think is better for me to do ? foundation year or foundation degree ??
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Unsure Student09)
    I also learned about foundation year that allows you to gain entry to the degree.
    If I did foundation degree and top up after, would it still count as bsc or be seen as inferior. I want to do business management and do a graduate programme.
    so which do you think is better for me to do ? foundation year or foundation degree ??
    It would still count as a Bsc, so i'd say do the foundation degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Unsure Student09)
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It would still count as a Bsc, so i'd say do the foundation degree.
    Aren't there funding issues with a foundation degree plus top-up?

I'd have thought a foundation year leading to a full degree would be better fundingwise ?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by jneill)

I'd have thought a foundation year leading to a full degree would be better fundingwise ?
    Nope, foundation degree is 2 years and then Elq rules allow you the 1 year to get the full Bsc
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Nope, foundation degree is 2 years and then Elq rules allow you the 1 year to get the full Bsc
    Ah, coolio.

And just so I'm not being stupid... that would also apply for an HND + top-up too?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ah, coolio.

And just so I'm not being stupid... that would also apply for an HND + top-up too?
    Yes
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes
    I'm on a roll now!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

This is where we had our discussion before.
    Whatever PQ says

My understanding was

Foundation degree= separate and is treated as such by SFE, It uses funding up and cna cause difficulties if it lasts longer than one year.
    Advantage is it cna give you a flexible qualification that keeps your options open and you cna use it to gain entry to another Uni.

Foundation year means you are commited to that course. it affects SFE funding much less as its just considered part of the course (assuming its not separate) , so your bonus year is intact i.e a 4 year course instead of 3. Advantage is you get a more focused syllabus preparing yourself for that degree and you are guranteed access to the degree proper. i.e Law with foundation year. You alos get to experience an extra year of Uni.

It has less flexibility than the standalone degree, but if you knwo the course you wnat to do then ist better because you dont have to worry about securing a place, get to know the lecturers and causes fewer ossies on funding.

There have veen some threads on TSR where people have done a foundation degree, which as used up funding and then been asked to pay for the first year of their main degree vecause too much funding has been used.

Its important the OP understands the differences and advantages of each.

Do not rule out resitting your A levels.

Foundation degree 1 uears uni fees (thousands) plus accomm.

Resit for complete A levels £80 each. I would go for a fouindation year where it allowed me to access a course and also where I felt I couldnt study on my own for resits but would appreciate better teaching support.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    ps isnt the top up degree a different thing? I thought foundation degrees were just general like access courses?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much !!!I was just worried that doing foundation year might lead to me getting even more debts for the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.