Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS's, beginning my A2's. At the beginning of the year, I was set to achieve AABB, however, the grades I can realistically expect on results day have dropped to BCCD. This is down to me having an extremely **** year, not through lazyness. The school knows this and offered to tell the exam boards so they could bump my marks up by a certain percentage. I refused, because I didn't want to be made into a 'special case'. The school have now offered to write on my UCAS application form that I couldn't achieve my full potential this year so that Universities are more understanding when making an offer. Would this be the case, or would they think "this shows she cracks up under pressure, don't want her on our course"?

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be beneficial to have it explained in your reference.

ReputationRep:
    Don't put your AS grades on yur UCAS form - ensure that you get good predicted A2 grades(i.e. what you should achieve with your potential), that way the universities dont need to know about your bad AS year and nothing needs to be mentioned on your references or PS!
    Just make sure that you work your arse off next year by doing AS repeats and doing well in A2 modules. Universities will most often decide to give an offer or not, based on A2 predictions and GCSE grades rather than AS grades...although AAAA at AS wouldnt hurt! :rolleyes:
    But dont be too disheartened, i came out of my AS exams with ABCC, expecting maybe AABB, due to laziness! However, after droppping one of the "C" subjects i managed to pull the B and the C both up to A's with the january modules- just put in the hard work and it feels great when it pays off!

It will benefit depending on what they are, some universities also have special access schemes where you can send an application detailing the circumstances, but it wont make such a difference that you apply to AAB universities with BCC and get an offer.

You could always resit any particularly low modules.

ReputationRep:
    I know I can re-sit, but by doing that it'll mean less effort will go into my A2 exams and then it'll have a knock on effect on the overall results I get.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with chester_2005: if you decline your AS grades, you won't have to put them on your form, so the unis won't know about them and therefore you won't need to explain them. Then as long as you get good A2 predictions, you're sorted. I'd definitely advise resitting at least a module per subject though because it's extremely difficult to improve a grade between AS and A2 without reits- remember that A2s are quite a bit harder, so you really need as many marks as possible from the easier ASs. You can do the resits in January, so it shouldn't interefere with A2s that much besides the odd exam or piece of coursework.

By the way, I had some *crap* circumstances and Sheffield have given me an offer for Law for ABb rather than AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boys-play-rock-and-roll)
    I know I can re-sit, but by doing that it'll mean less effort will go into my A2 exams and then it'll have a knock on effect on the overall results I get.
    You're obviously intelligent and clever enough that you expected AABB at AS- no easy task. Therefore, you should be able to cope with an extra bit of hard graft to do a couple of resits in january. But take the time to think about it logically and strategically- i had to do the same. Don't repeat all AS modules, repeat the ones which you should be able to pull up the most, dont repeat ones which may require a huge amount of work which will detract from A2 work and remain reasonably optimistic!
    Last august i felt like **** when i came out with ABCC! Not bad results, but completely not what i should have achieved! But after sitting down with my teachers we decided what modules would be the most practical to repeat in january or june etc... It worked! I pulled Maths C2 up from 70 to 94 out of 100 and physics practical from 52 to 79 out of 90 while still managing to get 78 out of 90 in the first physics A2 module! So it is possible!
    Its a long post, but im trying to help you realise that all is not lost- plus- you havent even got your AS results yet! You may not even have done as badly as you think! :rolleyes:

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.