Hi
    would anyone her be dissapointed with these grades?:
    A Level:

Maths: A
    Chemistry: A
    Biology: A

AS Business studies: A

and A level general Studies: B

Do u think the general studoes mark ruins my results?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Hi
    A Level:

Thanks
    I'd be parting with those grades! But this is just me....I'm one of the thick lot at UK Learning...

Hi
    A Level:

Thanks

They are superb grades - well done. I'm waiting for my GCSE results and I've been predicted all A*s but AGHGHGhhh it won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    A Level:

Thanks
    OMG OMG, offcourse a B in GENERAL STUDIES OMG, your life is ruined...

sheeesh!!

it really annoys me when people know they got good grades and still moan...

wot are u on about they r great marks! b lucky u past all of them an u got amazing marks! the B doesn't ruin it

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    A Level:

Thanks
    No way. General Studies is such a lottery anyway. Know loads of people (including myself) who have got all A's and a B in general studies. Anyway most unis don't accept it. I presume you've had your place accepted, so go out and celebrate.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    A Level:

Thanks
    no these are fanatastic grades, infact u have taken the exact same alevels as me! i got simialar grades, though i got an A in gs and a B in chem (though getting a remark). which uni are you going to and what are you going to study? i'm going to do business management at kings, though i guess most ppl who take these subjects go into sciences or to do medicine.

Hi
    A Level:

Thanks
    Methinks yu is fishin 4 comlpiments!!!

wonderful grades. one more A than me. plssss can u just like not come here any moer. just joking . welocme to the forumite

blood

ReputationRep:
    I think this is just your method of getting flattery. Ah you're so cheap! But well done anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I think this is just your method of getting flattery. Ah you're so cheap! But well done anyway
    no, ure life is most deffinetly not over. drop general studies, waste of time

Hi
    A Level:

Thanks
    Good heavens with grades like that you should be applying to unis that know general studies is a complete waste of time for their applicants and don't accept it! I avoided general studies and used the time to work on my Cambridge application!

what a stupid, empty and pointless question. Your grades are obviously good - you can't get higher than an A. I think a thread should be posted if it can illicit conversation, contribute something or if there is a genuine need for the poster seek an answer for a thoughful question.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should be disappointed, but I got 4 A's and a B at AS and was disappointed cos it was in History and not only did i get a A last year when all my other 11 GCSE's were A* but i got a C in one module and almost full marks in the other 2!!!!

However, i do think you must consider general studies! Oxbridge don't look at it as a grade no, but are cambridge interviews not a lot about "geenral studies" your abilities to think on the spot about things you have never seen before and your awareness of the world around you. I would dare to say that Oxbridge may look at your general studies grade and think that you had to do loads and loads of work to get your A's and thus may not cope with the academic pressure at oxbridge.

I don't think you all should be dismissive of general studies, really high marks are a good sign of raw intelligence i.e. IQ that Oxbridge may be looking for with everyone getting many A's

I would dare to say that Oxbridge may look at your general studies grade and think that you had to do loads and loads of work to get your A's and thus may not cope with the academic pressure at oxbridge.

I don't think you all should be dismissive of general studies, really high marks are a good sign of raw intelligence i.e. IQ that Oxbridge may be looking for with everyone getting many A's[/QUOTE]

That would be all very well if the general studies course/mark scheme was vaguely sane. However, firstly anyone applying to Oxbridge should naturally have the basic skills that general studies tests for in abundance. Admissions tutors at Oxbridge have already said countless times that they do not consider General studies when selecting their students.

Also (and this is the scary bit) the general studies exams are mad - people getting As in further maths, physics and English are often getting Ds in general studies. At best Oxbridge will disregard general studies (seeing an A and thinking 'we should hope so too!') and at worst you get an anomalous bad result on G.S. and it puts them off you. You don't have any of these worries it you just don't take it!

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly my point, the tutors may, as you say, worry if people have got all A's and a D in general studies cos it may show they can't cope with the unexpected!

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your results. I got 4A and 1E in AS (in yup you guessed it General studies!), but am well chuffed anyway, as I didn't care about general and did no work for it at all, so it would have been unfair if I had of got an A/B in it. I'm going for a remark anyway though, as they might be feeling generous, and as Im going for oxford I need the best possible grades.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    Oh sure, if you are a total paranoid perfectionist who demands staight As all the time in order to feel content with yourself, then yes, it ruins your results! If you are normal and well adjusted then you should b proud of yourself.

Reminds me of a Korean girl in my class whilst I was studying Chinese in Taiwan. She got 98% in a test and ran out of the room crying "what shall I do?!". I was delighted with my 82%!!!

Reality break time????

Elisabeth=)

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    A Level:

Very, I'd never be able to show my face in public again.

what a stupid, empty and pointless question. Your grades are obviously good - you can't get higher than an A. I think a thread should be posted if it can illicit conversation, contribute something or if there is a genuine need for the poster seek an answer for a thoughful question.
    I agree - although I think you probably mean elicit rather than illicit/illegal...

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.