Turn on thread page Beta

Girls what is your impression of Men's standard of dress these day? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls what is your impression of Men's standard of dress these day?
    Very Good
    5.26%
    Good
    15.79%
    Average - neither Good nor Poor
    47.37%
    Poor
    26.32%
    Very Poor
    5.26%

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so not talking about business suites or work wear but out and about in public, free times, relaxation/leisure, etc. Not necessarily meaning expecting all guys to wear formal shirts and stuff like that either, it can be, but also on casual wear. Late teens and twenties & thirties kind of age group.

ReputationRep:
    I like this style on guys
    http://66.media.tumblr.com/587cfbfd7...30b2o1_500.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavin2016)
    This could well be true, I would not ever get with a pig-monster though that I would find too unbearable to stomach. However, I would question whether your an alpha male seeing as you are on here and have just written an essay, far more than I often write. I'm thinking you are writing about other guys and what you see them doing to you - your the beta male, lol Probably far more beta than I am! In any case this question is not about that. I often here woman complain about the standard/way men dress, the state they are in, so was merely curious whether this is borne out in reality, that's all.
    He's most likely trolling and has copy pasted it off of some place on the interwebz.. Why would you think otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    I like this style on guys idk
    Well, I guess hipsterish looks are pretty en vogue nowadays

ReputationRep:
    Girls apparently like white t shirt with black jeans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Girls apparently like white t shirt with black jeans
    I've heard this, apparently Selena Gomez likes white T-shirts (strange fetish, lol). I know some women see white as clean and elegant, sharp perhaps. Some women apparently like blue on a guy for tops - this works for me as I think dark colours go with me more so say a dark blue top. White is ok, but I think white t-shirts can look cheapy, I guess the bog standard production that print is sometimes put on. That and when white material starts yellowing it looks an awful state I think and can creep up a bit like that before you realise I find making not a good impression.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that society judging people on such things was phased out during the '50s.

At the end of the day, I'll wear something for two reasons:
    - I like it.
    - It's comfy.

Unless you're playing a game (socially or literally), there is no reason to wear anything other than the above two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    I like this style on guys idk
    YASS :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I thought that society judging people on such things was phased out during the '50s.

At the end of the day, I'll wear something for two reasons:
    - I like it.
    - It's comfy.

Unless you're playing a game (socially or literally), there is no reason to wear anything other than the above two.
    And just as your very own bullet point 'i like it' some people might like different things.

Besides, judging is done unconsciously too, especially at first contact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    And just as your very own bullet point 'i like it' some people might like different things.

Besides, judging is done unconsciously too, especially at first contact
    Liking different things is irrelevant; just because I like something that someone else might not, that doesn't give the person who dislikes it the right to judge me on it.

My standard attire usually consists of a t-shirt and jeans (at pretty much every event bar funerals). Why? Because I like it, and it's comfy.

So if someone came up to me and started giving me **** for not wearing something that they would want to see me in, I'd tell them to piss off. In that vein it's rather similar to people who tell women to "cheer up" because they're not smiling.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this, apparently Selena Gomez likes white T-shirts (strange fetish, lol). I know some women see white as clean and elegant, sharp perhaps. Some women apparently like blue on a guy for tops - this works for me as I think dark colours go with me more so say a dark blue top. White is ok, but I think white t-shirts can look cheapy, I guess the bog standard production that print is sometimes put on. That and when white material starts yellowing it looks an awful state I think and can creep up a bit like that before you realise I find making not a good impression.

I mean like the casual white t shirt, not the like office one btw just in case. I wear them and I think it makes us look slimmer/ more muscular

ReputationRep:
    'omg this generation of men dresses so badly like they were dressed by their moms. What did we do to deserve them?'

- girl wearing leggings, ugg boots and hoody

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    I mean like the casual white t shirt, not the like office one btw just in case. I wear them and I think it makes us look slimmer/ more muscular
    IDK, if you have a bit of a pooch it is going to highlight it, its only slimming if your pretty thin already I think. Whereas a black or dark navy blue will hide it a bit I think as it will make it more difficult to see. Not talking real fat here though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    'omg this generation of men dresses so badly like they were dressed by their moms. What did we do to deserve them?'

- girl wearing leggings, ugg boots and hoody
    The worst is girls going out in 'Onesies' god awful, serious lack of any clue about fashion sense and visual self.

ReputationRep:
    Not kawaii enough.

On a more serious side, i generally don't care as long as their underwear isn't showing.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so not talking about business suites or work wear but out and about in public, free times, relaxation/leisure, etc. Not necessarily meaning expecting all guys to wear formal shirts and stuff like that either, it can be, but also on casual wear. Late teens and twenties & thirties kind of age group.
    It's probably just the area I live in OP but it seems that about 60% of the guys I see around look like this

Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg chavs.jpg (84.7 KB)

ReputationRep:
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/779/5...597779_788.jpg
    :love::love::love::love::love:

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of guys put a lot more effort into what they wear than say 10 years ago.

I don't particularly like the direction they've taken it though, I prefer the more classic looks that are relatively unchanging.

Fashion = Changing

Style = Eternal

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Liking different things is irrelevant; just because I like something that someone else might not, that doesn't give the person who dislikes it the right to judge me on it.

My standard attire usually consists of a t-shirt and jeans (at pretty much every event bar funerals). Why? Because I like it, and it's comfy.

So if someone came up to me and started giving me **** for not wearing something that they would want to see me in, I'd tell them to piss off. In that vein it's rather similar to people who tell women to "cheer up" because they're not smiling.
    How is liking different things ever irrelevant? Everyone has a right to judge and saying otherwise makes very little sense. If you dress however you want then it means you don't care about how you might be judged by it.

Good for you; I wear a shirt/t shirt and jeans too, but I also understand that some people prefer other sorts of styles. I don't particularly care as I don't intend to play off of my fashion sense but rather myself as a person ...

As for your last paragraph, I'm pretty sure we weren't talking about people not liking someone's outfit and going up to them to chastise them about bad taste ..

That's how the white t-shirts fit on me when I wear them to work. It makes me look muscular, even though I'm skinny.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.