The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Frequency of live lectures for Bachelor's degree?

I was just wondering what the frequency was for live lectures when studying an OU Bachelor FULL-TIME, i.e. completing the entire degree within 3 years?

Thanks!
I think it largely depends on the stage and the faculty or course - my Mum told me that for some of her Stage 1 modules, she had live tutorials every month. By Stage 2 and 3, the frequency had decreased to maybe 1 or 2 for the year. (She was, however, studying part-time, and that was a social science degree.) When module websites open, you might have more information, or you can ask your tutor when you get those details.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for your feedback. And curious that the tutorials decreased in the later years, I would have assumed they would increase to match the intensity / support needed for stage 2 and 3.
I think having more tutorials in the early stages is a retention strategy - when students are coming from all levels of experience, they may need support to manage their studies; whereas when they become more confident they can manage more independent study.

I think most of my 60-credit modules had probably three face-to-face tutorials on average, plus some online ones.

Quick Reply

Latest