This discussion is closed.
unK
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey guys Im about to move to birmingham to attend to a MSc course at Aston University. Ive been getting all the stuff I need for when I move. Ive been thinking about getting a Wireless Adapter for my laptop and I wanted to know if you guys had any ideas of what is the most common wireless Standard (802.11a-b-g) used in local networks such as cafes, campuses and so on..

:confused:
Thanks alot for your help..
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
s ac
(Original post by unK)
Hey guys Im about to move to birmingham to attend to a MSc course at Aston University. Ive been getting all the stuff I need for when I move. Ive been thinking about getting a Wireless Adapter for my laptop and I wanted to know if you guys had any ideas of what is the most common wireless Standard (802.11a-b-g) used in local networks such as cafes, campuses and so on..

:confused:
Thanks alot for your help..
802.11b is the main standard I think. 802.11g is faster but I think it might be limited to one manufacturer, and I don't know if it's back compatible.

There's a few websites somewhere run by people like BT with information on their public wireless schemes, with costs and standards and stuff.

Btw- This would be best in the computing forum...
kez-man
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
b is the "standard" but G is the best one, I think that a card equiped with G will also support A and B.
who_me
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
802.11g is backward compatible with 802.11b because they work in the same frequency (2.4GHz). 802.11a, however, operates in a 5GHz frequency and therefore is not compatible with either.

I'd say the most common is 802.11b....but obviously if you purchase equipment that is 802.11g there won't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Laura
unK
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks... I know G and B are both 2.4Ghz and compatible. Ive seen some adapter that supports A-B-G but its expensive. So I think Ill just get the 54mbps 802.11g Netgear USB adapter. Hope It works in most networks..

Thanks for your input.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
18.48%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
28.8%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (97)
52.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed