Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys Im about to move to birmingham to attend to a MSc course at Aston University. Ive been getting all the stuff I need for when I move. Ive been thinking about getting a Wireless Adapter for my laptop and I wanted to know if you guys had any ideas of what is the most common wireless Standard (802.11a-b-g) used in local networks such as cafes, campuses and so on..

:confused:
    Thanks alot for your help..

ReputationRep:
    s ac
    (Original post by unK)
    Hey guys Im about to move to birmingham to attend to a MSc course at Aston University. Ive been getting all the stuff I need for when I move. Ive been thinking about getting a Wireless Adapter for my laptop and I wanted to know if you guys had any ideas of what is the most common wireless Standard (802.11a-b-g) used in local networks such as cafes, campuses and so on..

:confused:
    Thanks alot for your help..
    802.11b is the main standard I think. 802.11g is faster but I think it might be limited to one manufacturer, and I don't know if it's back compatible.

There's a few websites somewhere run by people like BT with information on their public wireless schemes, with costs and standards and stuff.

Btw- This would be best in the computing forum...

ReputationRep:
    b is the "standard" but G is the best one, I think that a card equiped with G will also support A and B.

ReputationRep:
    802.11g is backward compatible with 802.11b because they work in the same frequency (2.4GHz). 802.11a, however, operates in a 5GHz frequency and therefore is not compatible with either.

I'd say the most common is 802.11b....but obviously if you purchase equipment that is 802.11g there won't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Thanks... I know G and B are both 2.4Ghz and compatible. Ive seen some adapter that supports A-B-G but its expensive. So I think Ill just get the 54mbps 802.11g Netgear USB adapter. Hope It works in most networks..

Thanks for your input.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.