Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to know how to stop thinking that I will do medicine one day because I have not got the grades to carry through with it. My grades are 3A*s, 8A’s and one B at GCSE, ABC at A level and AC at AS level. Medicine is out of my reach, and despite how many times I apply I know deep down I won’t be able to get through. Last time I came to this conclusion I was suicidal, and following that I developed paranoid schizophrenia.

What should I do to take medicine out of my mind and to move on? I guess what I really want to know is if it is still possible for me to get into medicine despite my grades? And how to stop ruminating over thoughts of possibly getting into med school. I need to learn how to give up.

In addition to this I was mentally ill during my A level year so I am wondering how I would go about getting extenuating circumstances?
    Is there any way to get into med school without going down the GEM route?
    This post reads to me as being a bit confused; and I am confused. I am hoping for someone to help me to tear myself away from the dream I have of wanting to study medicine.

ReputationRep:
    You could take s gap year.

ReputationRep:
    If it's any help med school is over-rated. I like it well enough but there are so many other opportunities out there. Realistically GEM is probably the only route you've got if you do decide to persue medicine.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a tough time lately. Perhaps you should take some time out, regroup and rethink and considering your options and what you'd like to do with your life.

If you decide after everything that you still want to do medicine then having to do the GEM route shouldn't stop you. But like I said, medicine isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 1lastchance)
    I need to know how to stop thinking that I will do medicine one day because I have not got the grades to carry through with it. My grades are 3A*s, 8A’s and one B at GCSE, ABC at A level and AC at AS level. Medicine is out of my reach, and despite how many times I apply I know deep down I won’t be able to get through. Last time I came to this conclusion I was suicidal, and following that I developed paranoid schizophrenia.

What should I do to take medicine out of my mind and to move on? I guess what I really want to know is if it is still possible for me to get into medicine despite my grades? And how to stop ruminating over thoughts of possibly getting into med school. I need to learn how to give up.

In addition to this I was mentally ill during my A level year so I am wondering how I would go about getting extenuating circumstances?
    Is there any way to get into med school without going down the GEM route?
    This post reads to me as being a bit confused; and I am confused. I am hoping for someone to help me to tear myself away from the dream I have of wanting to study medicine.
    It sounds like you've had a really rough time with this. What is it about medicine that you really want to do? Is there another course that you could do that still covers this (eg nursing etc- I'm no medic, someone else would be better for suggesting these!). Having things like that in A levels is really hard, med school is even more stressful though from what I've heard so maybe a lower intensity course would give you a better chance of achieving similar without having such a negative affect on your mental health in the process.

In terms of moving on, it can be hard but I guess come back to the what do you want from it again. You could volunteer somewhere with patients or carry on learning in your spare time, or try and find something you're equally passionate about. You can always come back to it in the future, but your health is most important and as much as it'd be great for everyone to be able to follow their dreams it seems like it might be just one step to far for you at the moment.

Sorry if that makes no sense, my brain is mush this morning! Hope things work out for you in the end

ReputationRep:
    You have a dream. I get that. Dreams are tricky things though - sometimes they do more harm than good. People can spend their lives chasing a dream, and sometimes they make it and sometimes they don't. For that reason I think it's very important to cultivate within yourself the ability to be happy either way. Whether you ever become a doctor or not, you are a great person, you are worthy of happiness and love.

Unfortunately learning to be happy and love yourself is a complex lifelong journey. More practically: you have posted a lot about your dream of becoming a doctor. But that is not something that is achievable right at this moment. Maybe it will be in the future and maybe it won't, but right now you do not have the necessary grades, and you have been unwell. You need to work on yourself first. So what I would suggest to you is to think about what other things you want to do in life, and whether any of them are more immediately achievable. Shift your focus from medicine to something else, closer to the present and closer to reality. That is NOT the same as admitting you'll never be the doctor, it is simply choosing a way of being happy in the present.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.