Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this September i'm going to college to study BTEC Performing Arts (not sure if level 2 or 3 yet) but i want to do A -Levels at home and was wondering how i would go about self-teaching + if anyone had any advice?
    I'm looking at Creative Writing and either Psychology or Sociology, any help would be appreciated
    Lily
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by alohalily)
    Hi, this September i'm going to college to study BTEC Performing Arts (not sure if level 2 or 3 yet) but i want to do A -Levels at home and was wondering how i would go about self-teaching + if anyone had any advice?
    I'm looking at Creative Writing and either Psychology or Sociology, any help would be appreciated
    Lily
    Can you not study these with your college too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Can you not study these with your college too?
    No, apparently you can only study one subject😒
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    No, apparently you can only study one subject😒
    There is probably a reason for that. If they thought it was possible to study the subject and A-levels together they'd let you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    There is probably a reason for that. If they thought it was possible to study the subject and A-levels together they'd let you.
    i think its more because the timetables clash
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    i think its more because the timetables clash
    Ahhh. Well it definitely won't be easy to home school. But good luck

ReputationRep:
    Lily
    It's possible, but difficult. If your chosen subjects have any coursework, it'll become impossible, as without significant teacher support, resources and moderation, you wouldn't be able to complete that aspect of the course, and without timetabled lessons, you wouldn't have that support. I'd be surprised if Creative Writing didn't have coursework, so choosing that would complicate things!

If they're exam-only, then it's more possible. You'd need to discuss it with your college as that's where you'd be sitting the exams, and they'd need to enter you for them. You'd also need to find out which specification they use, as that's the one you'll need to complete. If they don't agree to enter you for the exams, you could ask another college, but that would complicate things further.

As for learning the content, that should be pretty straightforward if there are official textbooks for your course. But there are still issues - firstly, the fact that your college won't let you officially take them suggests that you simply won't have time. Is the BTEC the equivalent of several A levels? If so, you'll struggle to fit in studying for your A levels - and they're a lot more difficult than GCSEs. Additionally, even when subjects are only exam-based, there's still the issue of technique; knowledge is only half the battle. Without teacher support, you'll find it almost impossible to get your essay technique correct, as the textbooks won't help with that. Most students taking the course will have completed dozens of practice questions in class, so by the time of the exam they know everything and they'll have perfected their essay skills (which will be different for each subject, especially for Creative Writing). Without teacher support, you'll struggle regarding essays.

Basically, you need your college to enter you for your exams and provide some teacher support - not necessarily timetabled lessons, but at the very least opportunities for feedback and to get your work marked. Self-learning multiple full A levels is very difficult, and even more so with essay subjects, as there aren't straightforward, correct answers. If all goes well when discussing it with your college, you still need to consider timing, as your BTEC will likely consume a lot of your time, not necessarily providing you with enough time to study for A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ahhh. Well it definitely won't be easy to home school. But good luck
    thank you

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.