Homeschooling + College Watch

alohalily
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, this September i'm going to college to study BTEC Performing Arts (not sure if level 2 or 3 yet) but i want to do A -Levels at home and was wondering how i would go about self-teaching + if anyone had any advice?
I'm looking at Creative Writing and either Psychology or Sociology, any help would be appreciated
Lily
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alohalily)
Hi, this September i'm going to college to study BTEC Performing Arts (not sure if level 2 or 3 yet) but i want to do A -Levels at home and was wondering how i would go about self-teaching + if anyone had any advice?
I'm looking at Creative Writing and either Psychology or Sociology, any help would be appreciated
Lily
Can you not study these with your college too?
alohalily
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
Can you not study these with your college too?
No, apparently you can only study one subject😒
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, apparently you can only study one subject😒
There is probably a reason for that. If they thought it was possible to study the subject and A-levels together they'd let you.
alohalily
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
There is probably a reason for that. If they thought it was possible to study the subject and A-levels together they'd let you.
i think its more because the timetables clash
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think its more because the timetables clash
Ahhh. Well it definitely won't be easy to home school. But good luck
ATinyRevolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lily
It's possible, but difficult. If your chosen subjects have any coursework, it'll become impossible, as without significant teacher support, resources and moderation, you wouldn't be able to complete that aspect of the course, and without timetabled lessons, you wouldn't have that support. I'd be surprised if Creative Writing didn't have coursework, so choosing that would complicate things!

If they're exam-only, then it's more possible. You'd need to discuss it with your college as that's where you'd be sitting the exams, and they'd need to enter you for them. You'd also need to find out which specification they use, as that's the one you'll need to complete. If they don't agree to enter you for the exams, you could ask another college, but that would complicate things further.

As for learning the content, that should be pretty straightforward if there are official textbooks for your course. But there are still issues - firstly, the fact that your college won't let you officially take them suggests that you simply won't have time. Is the BTEC the equivalent of several A levels? If so, you'll struggle to fit in studying for your A levels - and they're a lot more difficult than GCSEs. Additionally, even when subjects are only exam-based, there's still the issue of technique; knowledge is only half the battle. Without teacher support, you'll find it almost impossible to get your essay technique correct, as the textbooks won't help with that. Most students taking the course will have completed dozens of practice questions in class, so by the time of the exam they know everything and they'll have perfected their essay skills (which will be different for each subject, especially for Creative Writing). Without teacher support, you'll struggle regarding essays.

Basically, you need your college to enter you for your exams and provide some teacher support - not necessarily timetabled lessons, but at the very least opportunities for feedback and to get your work marked. Self-learning multiple full A levels is very difficult, and even more so with essay subjects, as there aren't straightforward, correct answers. If all goes well when discussing it with your college, you still need to consider timing, as your BTEC will likely consume a lot of your time, not necessarily providing you with enough time to study for A levels.
alohalily
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aph)
Ahhh. Well it definitely won't be easy to home school. But good luck
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1409)
79.65%
Leave (360)
20.35%

Watched Threads