Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently on windows 7,keep getting a message on my computer that I should upgrade to windows 10 by end of July for free. But is it worth it? Will it slow my computer down?
    And if I don't like it, is it easy to go back to windows 7?

Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't see any massive improvements from 8 (what i had before) to 10...if anything, it crashes and updates way more. I'm not too sure of how to change back, though I'm sure you probably could. If you can, and it's easy..then yeah, go for it. It's free until the end of the month so you may as well

ReputationRep:
    Win 8 ---> Win 10 = worth it
    Win 7 ---> Win 10 = not that worth it

And you can downgrade it...
    Easy?... Well it is but apparently it can be tough
    just remember you must back up your Win 7
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by rhstar)
    Hi,

I'm currently on windows 7,keep getting a message on my computer that I should upgrade to windows 10 by end of July for free. But is it worth it? Will it slow my computer down?

Thanks guys.
    Hi,

You can roll back from Windows 10 to your previous OS for up to a month after the upgrade, there is an option in the settings/control panel somewhere.

In regards to upgrading... if your computer is Windows 7, which you have indicated it is, then I don't see any real reason/necessity to upgrade from 7 to 10. 7 is a good OS - and I have heard reports of computers not working as well (due to incompatibilities) when going from 7 to 10.

Now if it was 8 (or 8.1) to 10, then I'd say go for it, as the Windows 8/8.1 UI is atrocious.

edit: The system requirements for windows 10 is virtually the same as windows 7 and 8/8.1, however I will warn you that Windows 10 is more graphics intensive than Windows 7. Games that run just fine on Windows 7, didn't run very nicely (if at all, particularly on fullscreen) on 10, and this was a new (less than 1 year old) computer with Windows 10 preinstalled. I had to dual boot 10 with 7, in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks guys.
    It sped my computer up, the boot times are so much quicker,

I would upgrade unless you have a lot of expensive software (not games!) that you use all the time and can't be bothered to change drivers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you'll be using the computer for a while I recommend doing the update while it's free. While the changes aren't massive you save yourself the money down the line. Windows 10 is also going to be better supported.

Rolling back is easy, the pre update files are held for at least a month, at which point they may be cleaned out by automatic utilities. However you can rollback after the one month date providing the hidden files are intact and you know what you're doing.

For me Windows 10 has been perfectly stable and runs on slightly more hardware than Windows 7. I don't really see a reason not to update.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's way better I was reluctant to update but then it automatically did it once and I never looked back

ReputationRep:
    My partner succumbed to a forced upgrade and the sound kept on bugging and the service needed to be restarted every 10 minutes during video playback. I think they may have ironed that out now but I installed some script to prevent the forced upgrade on my laptop.

ReputationRep:
    They've made some major stability improvements in the past year for sure.

but I still don't trust windows 10.I'm on 10 now, so i'm able to say it's definitely more stable than last year when I got it.

to put it in perspective:

Installed win 7 on PC1 had one bluescreen, recovered, upgraded to 8.1, no stability issues at all. Installed windows 10, PC became unresponsive, programs stopped working, reinstalled windows 10 clean wouldn't install onto the primary drive, resulting in me needing to install onto the secondary drive and lose a LOT of important game development work, worked fine in the end, very nippy, then the PC bluescreened after six weeks and failed to recover.

built a new PC as I needed a new one anyway, used the old drives as I knew they were healthy. Installed windows 10 (that was the only installer i had to hand) got a Kernel error bluescreen 3 weeks after install, recovered, it updated and I've not had a problem since.

I would say the upgrade really isn't worth it, nor is it a terrible idea in the current state, just be vigilant if you do, because it still isn't fully stable, the free upgrade frankly speaking IMHO was just to use us as guinea pigs for testing it. If you want security update support for the forseeable future then sure upgrade to 10, but otherwise, you're not making a major loss by not upgrading.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend it. Had a few issues getting it up and running as my drivers from Windows 7 were conflicting with new drivers and some of my hardware wasn't working. Eventually I did a clean install and everything works great.

I don't like some of the new apps (Groove Music, what is the point in that) but defaults can all be changed. Take care to change privacy settings during the install if you're going to upgrade.

In terms of performance, it's actually a lot lighter than Windows 7. My current PC with an SSD takes less than 30 seconds between pressing the power button and having something open on Chrome. Even the PC I had before with a conventional HDD had its boot time drastically reduced, it felt like the thing had been upgraded to an SSD.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your hardware if im honest, seen too many people jump from 7-10 and their pcs have become bricks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies. Is it true that DVDs will not work on windows 10 ? I have windows media center and windows media player on my computer, if I upgrade will not be able to play them if I needed to?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies. Is it true that DVDs will not work on windows 10 ? I have windows media center and windows media player on my computer, if I upgrade will not be able to play them if I needed to?
    Thanks
    No it is not true. DVDs and Blu-rays work just fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.