Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

I'd like to ask for some help figuring out a training programme, if anyone can possibly help.

In kinda sorted cardio wise (running three times a week, swimming once or twice and netball a couple of hours a week)

The bit that im not very clear about is weights - i need to build up some strength and would really like some help putting together some sort of fitness plan. All advice welcomed.

I'm guessing i'll need to go three times a week? and i know that some of you train for hours on end but i really don't have that sort of time. If its much more then an hour per session i know i'll end up not doing it -ideally i'd like to do maybe half an hour to 40 mins so i can go for a run outside then hit the gym all in one go - but im happy to do something else if this is a bad idea.

Oh and if it makes any difference to the way i'll train im female, 24, 5'5/165cm and about 51kg.

Thanks to all who help! and sorry for the terrible spelling and grammer

ReputationRep:
    first off, dont be scared of turning huge. just to be sure, its strength you want, not "tone"? beacuse they both require different methods of training.

ReputationRep:
    while tone is a look i prefer i need strength so im sacrificing vainity for a while

ReputationRep:
    ok. in that case, you will need to do heavy weights. however, id suggest you do light for a couple of weeks, to learn the technique and for your muscles to start learning how to deal with DOMS so when you go heavy it wont hurt so much.

you should start with basic compound movements like squats, benchpress, dead lift, shouder presses.
    ask a gym person to show you these exersises and ask them to check your form.

once you feel comfortable. find your 6 rep max for each exersise. then get back to me and ill develop your workout from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by focusST)
    ok. in that case, you will need to do heavy weights. however, id suggest you do light for a couple of weeks, to learn the technique and for your muscles to start learning how to deal with DOMS so when you go heavy it wont hurt so much.

you should start with basic compound movements like squats, benchpress, dead lift, shouder presses.
    ask a gym person to show you these exersises and ask them to check your form.

once you feel comfortable. find your 6 rep max for each exersise. then get back to me and ill develop your workout from there

OK - at the risk of sounding thick

DOMS? what is this?

and i already do some of those movements, but with pretty light weights, so that would seem to be a bonus, however i've never benchpressed and im not even sure what a deadlift is. I will go check it out and get back to you!

and how do I find my 6 rep max? I take it you mean so i can do 6 lifts or whatever then have to stop? but how do i know what that is?

Sorry for all those questions - clearly im not in anyway educated in this!

ReputationRep:
    its not a problem, its all alot to take in to begin with. youll slowely learn at it will become second nature.

Doms stands for, delayed onset muscle soreness. basically, the ache you get the day after your workout. going heavy and training for strength will increase the soreness to begin with, but it will ease off as your body learns how to better deal with it.

the 6 rep max is basically fininding a weight you can only lift 6 times- its a heavy weight, so be sure someone is there to help you. if you can manage a 7th rep, its too light.

a deadlift is basically picking a bar up off the floor, then putting it down again.
    benchpress is a staple for most people in the gym, but make sure to person who shows you it knows what they are on. so many people do it wrong.

aqs a last note, be carefull. i dont want you to hurt yourself. please makesure there is someone on hand to spot you, you will be lifting heavy weight, if you get stuck, you are pretty screwed.

ReputationRep:
    I take it this means i have to approach one of the intimidating men in the gym and ask for help?

Just to clarify - do i need a spotter on everything - or just the benchpress?

And thank you for the help!

ReputationRep:
    not necessarily intimidating. are there insructors there? to start with, tell them you are training for strength otherwise they might wonder why you are lifting so heavy.

you should try and have one for everything, well, not deads, you can just drop it. thats why i suggerst you spend a couple weeks getting used to the movements, that way you will learn to understand your limits and your body will "remeber" how to do it-muscle memory is quite a big subject so we will leave it there.

dont be afraid to ask as many questions as you want, ill try my best to answer all of them (as long as you dont want fashion advice)

ReputationRep:
    out of curiosity, do you do any sort of classes? like bodypump or spinning etc? beacuse your instructor is probaly fully qualified to teach you all the exersises and if you know the person already, you waont have to ask any big intimidating people.

ReputationRep:
    Tone isn't a word in Health and Fitness, it does not exist, do not use it again.

If you want to simply build some strength then bodyweight exercises like pressups, situps, chins etc are your friend. Use a rucksack of books to make them harder.

If you want to gradually build a lot of muscle/strength then start off on a basic training scheme.

3 sets of 10 reps, 4*6, 5*5, 6*4 Rotate these schemes every few weeks and do :

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Squat
    Rows
    Bench Press
    Military Press

Do that once on a day and wait at least 3 days until the next time you do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spannerism)
    Tone isn't a word in Health and Fitness, it does not exist, do not use it again.

If you want to simply build some strength then bodyweight exercises like pressups, situps, chins etc are your friend. Use a rucksack of books to make them harder.

If you want to gradually build a lot of muscle/strength then start off on a basic training scheme.

3 sets of 10 reps, 4*6, 5*5, 6*4 Rotate these schemes every few weeks and do :

Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Squat
    Rows
    Bench Press
    Military Press

Do that once on a day and wait at least 3 days until the next time you do it
    Thanks for the advice, in background im already doing bodyweight exercises, just a couple of questions -

"4*6, 5*5, 6*4" - i don't have the foggiest what this signifies - help?

and what is a row (rows?) and military press?

As an aside, and purely in the name of education, not intended as a slur in any manner, the definition of tone (according to the oxford dictionary) includes
    "the normal level of firmness or slight contraction in a resting muscle"
    verb (often tone up) give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a muscle).
    So our usage was probably lacking the correct grammer but the meaning and intent was clear.
    Further to that the word fit technically refers to "of a suitable quality, standard, or type to meet the required purpose" but through the evolution of language (as is likely with tone) its meaning is understood when used to refer to a standard of good health brough about through regular exercise.

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt:

www.abcbodybuilding.com Have a full guide of exercises, there is another site but it has such an obscure webby I cant remember.

Tone in fitness has no place because simply when you think about it there are a Dozen meanings to it, about another dozen ways to achieve each of these definitions... so it is disused out of plain ambiguity!

If you are training properly and eating well your muscles will firm up just fine.

4*6 means Four Sets of Six. Ie. Chinups. You do 6 chinups, then rest, 6 shinups, rest, 6 chinups rest, 6 chinups and thats you done. 6 repetitions, 4 times, with rests inbetween. 1min to 1.5 min is a good rest period... any more I think is a bit excessive.

The exercises I gave you are called Compound Exercises. They use more than one muscle group to perform. Rows use the back, laterals, biceps, forearm to perform and the lower back is supporting. Squats use the Quads, Hamstring, Gluteals and Lower Back.

Using these you can get a good strength basis to be working on.

ReputationRep:
    oh, i love working my laterals???

ReputationRep:
    Right guys - thanks for your help

In summary- i plan to go to the gym, and hopefully find someone who will demo said activities to me, and then hopefully convince someone to come spot for me. And im thinking 2 sessions a week low rep high weight (well high for me anyway) for strength, and 1 session high rep low weight for muscle endurance.

sorted!

now just got to get the rest of my life sorted too! lol

ReputationRep:
    yes, sounds awsome, keep us posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isis07)
    Right guys - thanks for your help

In summary- i plan to go to the gym, and hopefully find someone who will demo said activities to me, and then hopefully convince someone to come spot for me. And im thinking 2 sessions a week low rep high weight (well high for me anyway) for strength, and 1 session high rep low weight for muscle endurance.

sorted!

now just got to get the rest of my life sorted too! lol
    Stolen from Westside for Skinny Basts I'm guessing

ReputationRep:
    erm? what? i have no idea what that is, wheres the confused icon? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    OK - just googled - nope i hadn't used that site - just implemented my basic knowledge and what you guys have told me! Im clearly blessed with both brains and common sense.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.