Turn on thread page Beta

Mum won't accept boyfriend watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't 'come out' to my mum, she caught me kissing my boyfriend at the front door and literally flipped 7 months ago, she said some horrible things to me but we're over that now, basically my boyfriend has disliked her since then because of how she treated me. 6 months ago I went on holiday and had a free house the day I came back so I told my boyfriend to come over even though he wasn't allowed in the house. My mum came back early and caught the both of us in my room and kicked me out for around a month and told my boyfriend to stay away from me (which he didn't because I love him). As of now, I've talked to my mum so many times, trying to convince her to just let him come around to my house but she will not let him, she says I've hurt her feelings and she's not ready and is completely dismissive of my feelings. I really don't know what to do from now. (I am 17 and my boyfriend is 18).

ReputationRep:
    Contact social and ask for advice, they may home you elsewhere as it's affecting your mental health

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like there is anything to do. Your mum hates your boyfriend because she (by the sounds of it) is pretty homophobic. There isn't much that can fix that. I guess (only if you are comfortable because this could go very wrong and end up with you being hurt) you could ask her if the reason she hates him is because she hates you being gay. From the sounds of it she wants to love you because you're her kid so she's lashing out at him. Make her confront this and say 'I'm gay, either accept me or get out of my life because you are being very hurtful and I don't want to expose myself to this'. Your mental health and happiness needs to come first. I know she's your mum and you want her to accept you, but if she won't do that then cut her loose and find people who will actually care for you instead

(I know this would be very hard to do. My dad is very anti-gay and ignores me being bisexual and I know the day I bring home a girlfriend me and him will stop talking forever, but I'm still exposing myself to that **** until then because it's hard to let go of your parents)

ReputationRep:
    ...what kind of household did you grow up in exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your mum is a massive homophobe. At your age it would be pretty tough to tell your mum that she either has to accept you for who you are or you'll cut her out of you life (unless you have somewhere else you could live?), so my advice would be to try and put up with it until you're old enough to move out. At that point you can give her that ultimatum.

ReputationRep:
    It's just me and my mum, my dad left when I was little and she's had so many boyfriends since. Also, she isn't actually religious in any way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.