Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do guns make society safer or more violent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    All opinions welcome.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Follow me for awesome revision tips!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually pro gun, but that's another argument!

ReputationRep:
    There are argument for both sides but I am pro gun
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    If you look at places like America, hell no! They need reforms and guns aren't the answer to making society better.

ReputationRep:
    If a society is violent it will be violent whether they have guns or not.

Guns merely make it easier to perpetrate that violence.

ReputationRep:
    It depends to whom the gun is given to. If the processes for getting a gun-license is more stringent than car-ownership, and the culture of gun use involves a deep sense of respect and responsibility, and only a small/select minority owned them, then society is safer. The more violations of these principles, the greater the likelihood of accidental death or involvement in some sort of fire-arm related injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tianshan)
    All opinions welcome.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ask jim jeffries

ReputationRep:
    #NotAllGuns
    #GunLivesMatter

ReputationRep:
    I'm against guns tbh, It creates an environment where you have something to defend yourself 'just in case'. I think that in itself creates paranoia, which makes society less safe.

ReputationRep:
    In most countries, easy access to firearms only makes it more dangerous.

Only in few countries that are in unique circumstances do guns make the country safer!

ReputationRep:
    Pro gun but only if the natives are allowed them

ReputationRep:
    I'm pro-gun but only with rigorous background checks etc.
    I also believe only certain guns should be allowed. There is no need for civilians to own things like ground to air missiles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tianshan)
    All opinions welcome.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The obvious answer is both

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    they make no difference in my view, they're blunt tools no more there's no denying it makes it easier to killpeople but in itself they dont make society more violent.
    The arguements can go both ways though if everyone has guns they have an added measure of protection and a deterrant but on the same side it makes it a lot easier for a lot of people to get killed.

either way i still say the laws need changing, the blanket ban on most rifles and all hand guns because of two lone whackoes just not justify peanalising the majority of law abiding owners. Tough criteria should most definitely be in place and restrictions on type [i.e. no machine guns and what not] but aside from criteria there should be a mandatory and frequent review of owners of certain types e.g. semi autos. But given they have excellent sporting use along side pistols yeah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.