Turn on thread page Beta

Smart/Black box insurance, is it worth? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm really split at the moment, between saving £300 with a black box or just paying extra for the privilege of not having a box monitoring everything I do.

I'm not a dangerous driver by any means; but I would probably find myself checking the speedometer too frequently as opposed to looking at the road ahead. I've also read a lot of people say they are unrealistically strict on how hard you brake and accelerate, so driving a 1.6L car, this is something else I've taken into consideration.

The idea of having this thing installed in my car doesn't exactly appeal to me, so I'm posting here to ask people who have experience with these boxes, is it going to be worth saving £300?

my cheapest insurers have been "My Policy" and "More Than Smart Wheels" so if anyone is with these companies in particular, I would really appreciate your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is worth it I was on it for a year depends what one you have you'll have to check the requirements try snd get one without a curfew that's what I did but ince you go over the annual Millage you have o pay for extra miles which isn't that expensive either plus your premiums for the following year goes down a lot more than if you went with an insurance company that doesn't have the box because you have proved via monitoring your safe driving just don't speed else it can cancel your policy and you'll have to pay more

ReputationRep:
    Do not get the box.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't get it.

^ lol

ReputationRep:
    if youre not fussed about driving slowly, and know that you wont do much mileage, then get it.

if its a no to both of those, then please dont.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldnt touch one with a 10 foot barge pole

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's cheaper but you're also constantly being monitored and anything you do wrong could void the insurance..this also applies if your mom/dad/someone else drive the car, it'll monitor them as well.

Personally i'd just pay a bit more and skip the black box. I only paid £1200 for my first year driving without a box.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.