The Student Room Group

Switching from business to a computing science course?

In college I studied an extended diploma in business, as well as a subsidiary in IT. obviously my major in business meant it would be easy to go to university and study law, marketing, accounting etc. But I can't stand business and I don't want to spend the next 3 years and possibly my entire life having anything to do with it.

I applied to East Anglia this year to do a computing science course because of my love for computers, software, computer engineering etc, and they accepted me based on my qualification in in business rather than IT. I should clarify that my subsidiary consisted of two units in personal development, two units in graphics and hardware, and two units in web production using JavaScript and html. So I have no knowledge whatsoever of coding or programming.

What I want to know is whether it's a good choice. I mean, I will definitely enjoy the course because of its focus around computers. I loved my subsidiary course even though it was small because I got to work with computers all day. But will the transition be too much of a struggle for me? I've been told by the university and some friends the transition will be too difficult because I don't know about programming on any platform, or how to use simple programming. Surely the university wouldn't admit students to computer science courses based off of subjects "related" to IT like business and media if this was the case. Does anyone have knowledge or past experience with issues like this? Thanks for any help.
Original post by antonydickinson

What I want to know is whether it's a good choice. I mean, I will definitely enjoy the course because of its focus around computers. I loved my subsidiary course even though it was small because I got to work with computers all day. But will the transition be too much of a struggle for me? I've been told by the university and some friends the transition will be too difficult because I don't know about programming on any platform, or how to use simple programming. Surely the university wouldn't admit students to computer science courses based off of subjects "related" to IT like business and media if this was the case. Does anyone have knowledge or past experience with issues like this? Thanks for any help.

Will you enjoy it? Only you will know the answer to that. There are aspects of computer science that are hard. I think a lot of people struggle with the fact that the first answer is rarely the correct answer. Developing software or solving problems is an iterative process unlike essay writing for example. But if you enjoy abstract challenges then go for it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending