Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

swimming....at 6.30 in the morning!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know pools were open at that time. I think I should spend more of my long summer days swimming. Do you guys go alone? I do occasionally, but I get worried people think I can't swim even though I can! So I prefer to go with a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I didn't even know pools were open at that time. I think I should spend more of my long summer days swimming. Do you guys go alone? I do occasionally, but I get worried people think I can't swim even though I can! So I prefer to go with a friend.
    My one doesn't open till 7:30.

The other summer I used to get up early and go swimming on my own, but for some reason it kept making me throw up :confused: but i hadn't eaten anything before I went swimming, so I stopped going in the early morning because throwing up every day isn't pleasant

Oh yeah i forgot to say, not only do i not get why people want to join the army; i don't get why people want to swim, we live on land and drown in water unless learning to swim for a reason, and it's cold and wet and requires energy....puh it's horrible business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Oh yeah i forgot to say, not only do i not get why people want to join the army; i don't get why people want to swim, we live on land and drown in water unless learning to swim for a reason, and it's cold and wet and requires energy....puh it's horrible business.
    i rather enjoy the feeling of drifting along under neutral bouyancy. you can do cool kung fu moves when swimming too.

ReputationRep:
    tismelord, swimming is good fun

ReputationRep:
    Swimming is great and the sport I'm best at and once u start going it stops being cold and it's fun! I need to learn to dive properly this summer tho!

If you learn to swim chances are you probably won't drown in water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    i rather enjoy the feeling of drifting along under neutral bouyancy. you can do cool kung fu moves when swimming too.
    lol cool kung fu moves in slow motion! like an episode of baywatch!

(Original post by me!)

Swimming is great and the sport I'm best at and once u start going it stops being cold and it's fun! I need to learn to dive properly this summer tho!

people only drown when they panic, coz apparently if you dont move the body naturally floats

(Original post by {ingnik)
    lol yeah, that's basically the only good thing about it, that and splashing people when you jump in.

(Original post by me!)

Hows it fun? Even if i could swim far it's only going up and down, i'd much rather just sit around the pool reading a book all day. Oh and in the meantime i'll just stick to drowning thank you, i don't want to learn to swim.

(Original post by Fly By)
    people only drown when they panic, coz apparently if you dont move the body naturally floats
    lol i don't, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    I don't float o_O according to my mean school swimming teacher I'm a 'natural sinker'. I guess I need more fat to buoy me up *starts on the chocolate again* mmm, beneficial.

(Original post by pikaboo)
    I don't float o_O according to my mean school swimming teacher I'm a 'natural sinker'. I guess I need more fat to buoy me up *starts on the chocolate again* mmm, beneficial.
    Well if that's the case then no wonder i sink, and i always will.

ReputationRep:
    Well if that's the case then no wonder i sink, and i always will.
    Fast metabolisms can have their disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty tough doing it now, but I had to train with my team starting from 6.15 in the morning at the pool to train for an open water relay. From January...it's not very bright at that time of year, and at that sort of time I don't think anyone is .

I needed three alarms before actually getting up at 6.09, grabbing my things, having a quick bite to eat before arriving at the pool just in time, always last one there but never too late . I think there's some sort of pride I feel at being able to get up at such a ridiculous time of day.

It probably helped because in the indoor trials I did pretty well, I'm not sure my studies went so well...lessons after that were not good.

In the end however it all fell apart because I'd never done open water before (I rarely enjoy swimming outdoors) and our pool is about 33 degrees, so you might guess that for me at least there was a slight drop in performance with a 20 degree drop in temperature. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)

i didnt until my friend told me she swims every morning at 6!!! SIX!! she's really serious though.shes a good and dedicated swimmer, but like you i cant do anything impressive in the water :rolleyes:
    i think the major downside is chlorine damages the hair. my friends hair is getting so weak, despite the hat or cap or whatever it is she wears

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    My belly is too big to bear in a swimming pool, which is why I dont go swimming

ReputationRep:
    I used to train 4 mornings a week - getting up at 4.45am to be at the pool by 5.15 and in the water at 5.30 to swim for an hour and a half. And then there was evening training as well, so you'd swim twice in one day a couple of times a week. Don't ask how I managed it!

Oh and the only time I even see 5am anymore is if I haven't been to bed yet...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I used to train 4 mornings a week - getting up at 4.45am to be at the pool by 5.15 and in the water at 5.30 to swim for an hour and a half. And then there was evening training as well, so you'd swim twice in one day a couple of times a week. Don't ask how I managed it!

Oh and the only time I even see 5am anymore is if I haven't been to bed yet...!

OMG!! :eek:
    thats dedication for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    OMG!! :eek:
    thats dedication for you!
    Indeed it was! Did morning sessions for about 4 years and then decided I was too old and they weren't worth it anymore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Indeed it was! Did morning sessions for about 4 years and then decided I was too old and they weren't worth it anymore!
    lol! im glad you are back to normal now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i didnt until my friend told me she swims every morning at 6!!! SIX!! she's really serious though.shes a good and dedicated swimmer, but like you i cant do anything impressive in the water :rolleyes:
    i think the major downside is chlorine damages the hair. my friends hair is getting so weak, despite the hat or cap or whatever it is she wears
    Who's that then?! Do I know her? *Will look out for somebody who has wet hair every morning*

That's what'd annoy me - getting all swimming watery. I know there's showers at pools, but they're not overly good and I never feel clean (after swimming).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.