• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Generally all these courses are competitive. If you meet the entry requirements you'll be fine but the extra work experience and GMAT will definitely help.

ReputationRep:
    The only competition is the excessive tuition fees.

Usually the harder course are cheaper, think MSc Finance and Econometrics at QMUL

Econometrics is not comparable to Finance, Finance could be studied by a 12 year old. Econometrics is hardcore Statistics, it's very difficult.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I do suggest you take Econometrics if you can, it will make you very employable both on the PhD side and industry side.

I'm talking modules like Financial Econometrics (ARCH, GARCH, Volatility Ratio Tests), Econometrics ( OLS, GLS, GMM, Binary Choice, Instrumental Variables), Time Series Analysis ( AR models, MA models, spurious regression, ARMA, testing for unit roots)

ReputationRep:
    I did the MSc Finance and Econometrics at QMUL and it was a damn hard course (the econometrics that is), the Finance was very simple. You wouldn't need high level of training in math to do the finance modules, unless you did asset pricing (then you are dealing with Ito's lemma and Brownian motion).

Finance is very interesting though and if you want to learn how to invest, it's the best start you can have. When you cover Derivatives markets, Portfolio Theory and being able to read Financial Statements, you can become a well informed investor. All you then need is market experience, being able to time the market for dips. So a little Technical analysis helps as well, but that is usually common sense, looking at trend lines and moving averages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lay-Z)
    That's interesting, I didn't do too well in econometrics based modules at undergrad but since I have experience with them now I reckon I would fair a bit better.

Indeed some of the course fees are extortionate, given you only get 10k from sfe I would have to get a scholarship/find alternative methods
    Econometrics at postgrad on another new level, you might as well call it "Statistics". There is a lot of stuff on limiting distributions and convergence, which you might not do in undergrad. Econometrics uses Law of Large Numbers and Central Limit Theorem as it's main concepts, though there are a few others.

Yeah the MSc Finance courses have stupid fees, they charge it because people will pay it. The worst offender is by far London Business School, I think they have a £100K MBA programme. Now if your company isn't paying for it, I don't know who can afford it.

I think the QMUL MSc Finance and Econometrics course is just over 10K, so that's worth looking into if you can hack the econometrics (you need to be really solid in math for that). You could look at some MSc Finance and Management courses, they are usually cheaper.

MSc Finance is probably the most expensive masters you can do, other than the dreaded MBAs.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for other programs, but I can assure you that, at least at Imperial, the MSc Finance can be as challenging as you want it to be. And you can do as much econometrics, stochastic calculus, Matlab and PDEs as you want.

http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/business-...mme/electives/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.