Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to study social policy and either criminology or sociology at uni, however I can't decided which one I prefer more out of these two unis. If anyone has any pros or cons about either of these, it would be very helpful if you could let me know so I can make my decision! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by court_meredith)
    Hi, I want to study social policy and either criminology or sociology at uni, however I can't decided which one I prefer more out of these two unis. If anyone has any pros or cons about either of these, it would be very helpful if you could let me know so I can make my decision! Thank you.
    Hi, I'm from Liverpool but go to the University of Birmingham so I know the two cities pretty well

Course - I don't study these subjects but I have taken Sociology modules and they've been really interesting! I did ones on Gender and Sexuality which was really good! Take a look at the modules and see what you're interested in and what you like better

Campus - Liverpool has a city based campus, although I'd say it's sort of on the edge of the city centre- depending where you are you can walk into the main shopping area in probably about 10-20 minutes. A con might be accomodation - as far as I'm aware not all students live in the same areas.
    Birmigham has a surban campus, it is about 3 miles from the city cente. However, it's like 5 minutes on the train to the city centre from the University's station. I'd probably say it's prettier than Liverpool's - a lot more trees and greenry! A pro would probably be accomodation as most accomodation is within 10-20 minute walk of the University. I was a 5 minute walk away from one of my lectures in first year.

I don't know the league tables for these subjects but Birmingham overall does do better than Liverpool in the league tables. Birmingham is also rated highly for graduate prospects.

A pro for Liverpool is definitely the night-life, I prefer clubbing in Liverpool- a lot of clubs and bars are next to eachother so you can go to lots in one night if you get bored. Birmingham's night-life is really spread out all over the city-centre unless you're on Broad Street, which has a lot of clubs/bars on the same street.

Hope that helps a bit, definitely do more research into the subjects and visit on open days

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your reply! I have attended both open days and preferred the University of Birmingham, however, I prefer Liverpool city and it is closer to home for me than Birmingham is. I think I might have to make a pro and con list and hopefully I will make a decision soon haha.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should visit both universities! See how you feel about them! ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by court_meredith)
    Thank you very much for your reply! I have attended both open days and preferred the University of Birmingham, however, I prefer Liverpool city and it is closer to home for me than Birmingham is. I think I might have to make a pro and con list and hopefully I will make a decision soon haha.
    No problem Yeah definitely do a pro and cons list! At the end of the day go with your gut instinct

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 6, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.