Turn on thread page Beta

Am I good enough for Masters watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a Masters in International Relations having previously studied languages. I got a 2.1 for my undergraduate but it was touch and go at one point.

A lot of the people on my course seem very intelligent and qualified. Many have scholarships awarded for academic excellence and their background is in politics or IR.

How can I do well in my MA?? Am I good enough??

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are, if you got a 2:1 in your undergraduate degree you are more than qualified.

The problem with masters degrees are the 50% pass rate, the content is significantly harder and the pass rate is higher, so it is very possible to scrap a pass in a few modules if you don't study them well.

Worst thing can happen is failing the masters and coming out with a postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate (though the dissertation should save you hopefully!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg45344)
    Yes you are, if you got a 2:1 in your undergraduate degree you are more than qualified.

The problem with masters degrees are the 50% pass rate, the content is significantly harder and the pass rate is higher, so it is very possible to scrap a pass in a few modules if you don't study them well.

Worst thing can happen is failing the masters and coming out with a postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate (though the dissertation should save you hopefully!)
    Oh wow I didn't realise that - by 50% pass rate do you mean only 50% of students pass their Masters or that you need 50% to pass?

I guess it doesn't work the same as undergraduate then, where you have 60% and 70% as your targets?

How do the grade boundaries work? I also didn't realise that if you fail you are awarded a diploma or certificate...

ReputationRep:
    I got 60 in my undergrad - just a 2:1 .

now in my masters (I am a lot more mature) - I am achieving 80-90's - top 1st .

Always remain positive, always reflect on your work and understand how to improve it and go for it!

Basically trying to say - anything is possible!

ReputationRep:
    You're a suitable candidate for a masters. *Many people do them with a 2:2 grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Oh wow I didn't realise that - by 50% pass rate do you mean only 50% of students pass their Masters or that you need 50% to pass?

I guess it doesn't work the same as undergraduate then, where you have 60% and 70% as your targets?

How do the grade boundaries work? I also didn't realise that if you fail you are awarded a diploma or certificate...
    You need to get 50% to pass, 60% for Merit, then 70% for a distinction. But they might have other rules, like for mine to get a distinction overall, I need over 70% overall and in my dissertation, and at least 65% average in taught modules.

I believe you get a diploma if you only pass 60 credits worth of modules, a certificate for 120, and a masters for the whole thing. Something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndSugar)
    You need to get 50% to pass, 60% for Merit, then 70% for a distinction. But they might have other rules, like for mine to get a distinction overall, I need over 70% overall and in my dissertation, and at least 65% average in taught modules.

I believe you get a diploma if you only pass 60 credits worth of modules, a certificate for 120, and a masters for the whole thing. Something like that
    Every uni - and potentially department - can set its own Masters pass criteria. We had Pass/Merit/Distinction at mine, but many just have Pass/Distinction. Mine calculated my grade averaged over all taught units with the dissertation as a double-weighted unit. However some insist that you must get a Distinction for your diss before awarding a Distinction, even if you average over 70% overall. Mine didn't offer any intermediate qualifications depending on credits - either you passed or you failed.

Best to check up front for each individual course.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndSugar)

60 credits is PgCert
    120 credits is PgDip
    180 credits is Masters *

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.