Actuarial Grad Schemes 2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I noticed there isn't a thread for this yet so I thought I'd create one. Seems like the Deloitte grad schemes are already open! Has anyone started applying yet?

ReputationRep:
    is anywhere else open apart from deloitte?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    is anywhere else open apart from deloitte?
    Not sure exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Just a word of advice RE the Deloitte one. I applied July last year for the 2016, passed online tests in the September, then didn't hear anything until the December when they rejected the application. So even though applications are open now, you may be waiting a while.

EY and KPMG both progressed applications really quickly from beginning of September, likewise so did Grant Thornton. The vast majority of closing dates were November time, but a few came up in March/April too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    Just a word of advice RE the Deloitte one. I applied July last year for the 2016, passed online tests in the September, then didn't hear anything until the December when they rejected the application. So even though applications are open now, you may be waiting a while.

EY and KPMG both progressed applications really quickly from beginning of September, likewise so did Grant Thornton. The vast majority of closing dates were November time, but a few came up in March/April too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the heads up.

I've heard that sometimes you need to hound them (in spite of already passing tests) in order to get the interview because sometimes they just aren't organisationally equipped to deal with so many applications. Not sure how much truth there is in that though!

Did you get onto a scheme in the end by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paraphilos)
    Thanks for the heads up.

I've heard that sometimes you need to hound them (in spite of already passing tests) in order to get the interview because sometimes they just aren't organisationally equipped to deal with so many applications. Not sure how much truth there is in that though!

Did you get onto a scheme in the end by the way?
    Yep. I had two offers in May and am going to XL Catlin - I ideally wanted something in GI and preferably RI so perfect for me.

I also got to final stage for many others inc v big firms however ended up being told (no joke here) some of the following:
    - too much experience
    - too many exemptions
    - not enough knowledge of pensions (when applying to a GI firm)
    - maths GCSE not good enough (A grade, despite A-Levels being better and with a predicted and now achieved 1st class degree)

So good luck to you all, and I can try help when you get to further stages but obviously won't be giving out huge amounts of info as (1) days are likely to have changed and (2) I feel like not knowing what to expect will actually give you an advantage as you won't overprepare which is definitely what let me down occasionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I had two offers in May and am going to XL Catlin - I ideally wanted something in GI and preferably RI so perfect for me.

I also got to final stage for many others inc v big firms however ended up being told (no joke here) some of the following:
    - too much experience
    - too many exemptions
    - maths GCSE not good enough (A grade, despite A-Levels being better and with a predicted and now achieved 1st class degree)

So good luck to you all, and I can try help when you get to further stages but obviously won't be giving out huge amounts of info as (1) days are likely to have changed and (2) I feel like not knowing what to expect will actually give you an advantage as you won't overprepare which is definitely what let me down occasionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just honestly speaking I hadn't heard of XL Catlin until you mentioned it. I made an extensive (or what I thought was extensive) list of all consultancies and insurance companies in an Excel file but sometimes I just don't know whether I've missed them off or not.

Do you have any advice by the way in terms of picking a specific path (in terms of life insurance, or pensions etc.)? I understand their vague differences but honestly speaking can't identify what is drastically different about them. Or should I just apply for as many as possible?

ReputationRep:
    Just honestly speaking I hadn't heard of XL Catlin until you mentioned it. I made an extensive (or what I thought was extensive) list of all consultancies and insurance companies in an Excel file but sometimes I just don't know whether I've missed them off or not.

Do you have any advice by the way in terms of picking a specific path (in terms of life insurance, or pensions etc.)? I understand their vague differences but honestly speaking can't identify what is drastically different about them. Or should I just apply for as many as possible?
    In all honesty, its a commerical insurance/reinsurance company so not many have unless already working! Though actually XL Group and Catlin merged last year so the 'new' company is still quite unknown. There's a huge amount of actuarial employers not listed in the Institute's directory and that aren't well known - for instance I did a placement and hadn't heard of the company before it was listed on my university jobsite. One of the best ways I used to find potential employers was scrolling through connections on LinkedIn and then researching their current and previous employers.

Like I said, I did a placement in a commerical general insurance company and loved it, so wanted to do similar work. The software experience I had was all geared to GI too. I spoke to a lot of lecturers about life/pensions/consultancy which also helped me narrow down the search a bit - for instance I didn't apply to any pensions jobs as it just wasn't for me, and only applied to consultancy programs with a GI stream.

I think it also helped me not particularly enjoying CT5, that definitely put me off the life side a little!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    is anything else open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goofymark13)
    is anything else open?
    Most seem to open in September according to the spreadsheet I've made; but of course, there's nothing to stop you preparing applications beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else a 2016 graduate applying for 2017 intake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunderfert)
    anyone else a 2016 graduate applying for 2017 intake?
    You definitely won't be the only one. I was definitely in the minority at ACs last year as I was still at uni...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most seem to open in September according to the spreadsheet I've made; but of course, there's nothing to stop you preparing applications beforehand.
    Spreadsheets already in the making, signs of an actuary !

ReputationRep:
    When is the best time to apply because I can't find many schemes that are open yet? Going to finish my deloitte application today

ReputationRep:

- too much experience
    - too many exemptions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Too much experience and exemptions...so best to do nothing

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I noticed there isn't a thread for this yet so I thought I'd create one. Seems like the Deloitte grad schemes are already open! Has anyone started applying yet?
    Hey.

I only just started looking seriously at the actuary grad schemes over the past few days and think that it is what I want to do after I leave university.

I see you have been looking longer and wondered if you have any advice for me because I'm finding it quite daunting atm.

When do the applications open (I feel like I have done nowhere near enough research which is quite disconcerting to me).

I am about to enter my final year of a 3yr maths course and have predicted a strong first class result but that is all I have in my favour at the moment. My work experience is lacking and I failed to secure any kind of internship.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cliveb2016)
    Hey.

I only just started looking seriously at the actuary grad schemes over the past few days and think that it is what I want to do after I leave university.

I see you have been looking longer and wondered if you have any advice for me because I'm finding it quite daunting atm.

When do the applications open (I feel like I have done nowhere near enough research which is quite disconcerting to me).

I am about to enter my final year of a 3yr maths course and have predicted a strong first class result but that is all I have in my favour at the moment. My work experience is lacking and I failed to secure any kind of internship.

Thanks!
    Hi Clive.

First, I don't think you need to panic yet as a lot of schemes are still yet to open and you still have quite a lot of time to do research and get to know the industry a bit more. I'll PM you more information.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know why actuarial services in business consulting are not open yet for KPMG? Not interested in pensions so getting a bit concerned by this.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know why actuarial services in business consulting are not open yet for KPMG? Not interested in pensions so getting a bit concerned by this.
    Sounds strange, I had done AC by this point last year. Possibly they aren't recruiting in that area this year, maybe try and email the recruitment team...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds strange, I had done AC by this point last year. Possibly they aren't recruiting in that area this year, maybe try and email the recruitment team...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I emailed them and they told me it's 'unconfirmed' and to sign up for alerts.

How can it be unconfirmed as late as this? Surely they'd have already decided that they don't want to recruit for it by now.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.