Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

Yes yes, we brexiters aren't stupid we knew it was going to happen in short term, but exports are up... just like BREXITERS said.

*waits for remainers to complain saying they was right*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

Yes yes, we brexiters aren't stupid we knew it was going to happen in short term, but exports are up... just like BREXITERS said.

*waits for remainers to complain saying they was right*
    Exports only increased because the pound fell thus making our goods cheaper not due to an increase in trade deals with non eu countries...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honeywood)
    Exports only increased because the pound fell thus making our goods cheaper not due to an increase in trade deals with non eu countries...
    I know that.

ReputationRep:
    a couple of people expecting it to be short term does not mean it will be short term

if you look at the Brexiters' rhetoric of ignoring the experts, why are you telling us to listen to these experts? :rolleyes:

its clear you posted this just to attack remainers

ReputationRep:
    I know that.
    So how is it a positive? Surely we want exports to increase due to the facts our goods are of a higher quality or that we have established new trade deals with non eu countries. Not the fact we just de-valued the pound.

ReputationRep:
    Exports will be up as the price for foreign importers will have fallen due to the exchange rate.

Imports to the UK will conversely be more expensive so there will be an inflationary threat.

All of that said though, the doom-mongers are getting tedious.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom is of greater importance than wealth, those people who expect top down solutions will never fully master their own lives.

ReputationRep:
    So how is it a positive? Surely we want exports to increase due to the facts our goods are of a higher quality or that we have established new trade deals with non eu countries. Not the fact we just de-valued the pound.
    Get used to a lower value, more exports in long-term = better off look at Germany with a lower currency than ours. Services will pick up soon as lower pound will make business easier, higher prices and inflation means higher wages, as pound value gone down houses aren't as expensive anymore so when wages prices cost of mortgages will drop in % of salary (most likely) as less immigrants already due to lower currency value. Higher demand too = higher wages. In long-run we'll be better off, also manufacturing will increase as it can compete with lower currencies.

ReputationRep:
    Get used to a lower value, more exports in long-term = better off look at Germany with a lower currency than ours. Services will pick up soon as lower pound will make business easier, higher prices and inflation means higher wages, as pound value gone down houses aren't as expensive anymore so when wages prices cost of mortgages will drop in % of salary (most likely) as less immigrants already due to lower currency value. Higher demand too = higher wages. In long-run we'll be better off, also manufacturing will increase as it can compete with lower currencies.
    How will business be easier if it is more expensive for firms to import the resources to produce their goods? and due to the fact the economy isnt growing it will lead to a decrease in the amount of investment, which is a key component of AD. We may receive higher wages however if they rise at the same rate as inflation we will be no better off than we are now/before. Aren't immigrants good because they increase the productive output of the country as most are highly skilled and in most cases better than the UK alternative, this is why they have the job in the first place. This also leads to a higher quality of care and treatment when it comes to the likes of doctors and dentists. Then low skilled immigrants do hard labour that most brits wouldn't do anyway.(Btw i'm not trying to have a go i am just generally curios as i am still on the fence tbh)

ReputationRep:
    What's your basis for "short term"? Seems like you've just made that up.

Love how it's suddenly a case of "all Brexiters knew there would be a recession". People have been trying to deny every piece of bad news coming out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atlas Thugged)
    Freedom is of greater importance than wealth, those people who expect top down solutions will never fully master their own lives.
    Tell that to the people getting their benefits cut due to austerity or being unable to afford food and shelter when prices go up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Tell that to the people getting their benefits cut due to austerity or being unable to afford food and shelter when prices go up.
    You don't know what is going to happen in the long term, as far as I'm concerned, in 20 years time France will be tearing itself apart in a bloody civil war, if we remain in the EU we'll be exposed to downside risk regarding this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttimeigetvpn)
    a couple of people expecting it to be short term does not mean it will be short term

if you look at the Brexiters' rhetoric of ignoring the experts, why are you telling us to listen to these experts? :rolleyes:

its clear you posted this just to attack remainers
    Brexiters knew there would be a short-term shock, by short term I mean one quarter.

Lower value = more competitive = higher wages as more £

How will business be easier if it is more expensive for firms to import the resources to produce their goods? and due to the fact the economy isnt growing it will lead to a decrease in the amount of investment, which is a key component of AD. We may receive higher wages however if they rise at the same rate as inflation we will be no better off than we are now/before. Aren't immigrants good because they increase the productive output of the country as most are highly skilled and in most cases better than the UK alternative, this is why they have the job in the first place. This also leads to a higher quality of care and treatment when it comes to the likes of doctors and dentists. Then low skilled immigrants do hard labour that most brits wouldn't do anyway.(Btw i'm not trying to have a go i am just generally curios as i am still on the fence tbh)
    Lower immigration on bad areas.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Didnt you make a thread yesterday claiming there would be no recession?

Doubt we are in recession just yet, there is insufficient data for an official declaration.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Brexiters knew there would be a short-term shock, by short term I mean one quarter.
    Let's see
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Atlas Thugged)
    You don't know what is going to happen in the long term, as far as I'm concerned, in 20 years time France will be tearing itself apart in a bloody civil war, if we remain in the EU we'll be exposed to downside risk regarding this.
    And if we aren't in the EU we are protected? Any significantly adverse socio-economic events within the EU will still have a downside risk to us.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    A recession requires supporting data for two consecutive quarters.

Wont let me rep you neil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Didnt you make a thread yesterday claiming there would be no recession?

Doubt we are in recession just yet, there is insufficient data for an official declaration.
    Like one quarter recession

ReputationRep:
    Recession

[ri-sesh-uh n]

noun

Two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    A recession requires supporting data for two consecutive quarters.
    Which will just about take us to activating A50.

Hold on to your hat...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.