Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone who's studying abroad in USA: vaccine/immunization help Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just a question for anyone from the UK studying/ going to study in the US, did anyone have to get a TDap vaccination before going? Apparently the TD booster we recieve in the UK isn't good enough and US colleges require an adult dose of TDap.

I went to see a nurse at the doctors and she said I shouldn't need it, but the immunization form from the college I'm going to (Towson University) says otherwise... I've tried emailing my vaccine records to the uni but their health center is closed over summer so that's no help.

Anyone in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnriqueShockwave)
    Hi,

Just a question for anyone from the UK studying/ going to study in the US, did anyone have to get a TDap vaccination before going? Apparently the TD booster we recieve in the UK isn't good enough and US colleges require an adult dose of TDap.

I went to see a nurse at the doctors and she said I shouldn't need it, but the immunization form from the college I'm going to (Towson University) says otherwise... I've tried emailing my vaccine records to the uni but their health center is closed over summer so that's no help.

I'm studying in California for a year and I haven't had that but I've had, a tetanus jab which was 'Diphtheria, Tetanus and inactivated polio' and then I also had a Meningitis vaccine.
    I've just realised my form said 'Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis' but then it says '(DPT, Dtap, DT, Td, Tdap)'. So idk?I didn't realise there was a difference, my nurse didn't say anything and I've already sent it to them. I haven't received any complaints back.Surely, if you at least have had one version it doesn't matter that much? If possible you could get it when you get there.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by EnriqueShockwave)
    Hey,

I studied abroad in California, and am on a placement there just now, and neither times have I been informed about getting any injections. This may be region specific, university specific or exchange program specific. I know many people who studied abroad to the US, and I've never heard of anyone needing a vaccination or immunization.

Your best bet would be to email the university directly and ask if it's mandatory, or just suggested. Also talk to your home university, as they should have information on this if it's happened before.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.